The Governments of Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Australia are implementing the Papua New Guinea Partnership Fund (PPF, the Fund) – a competitive grant funding mechanism, at a large scale, delivered under the Papua New Guinea – Australia Governance Partnership. The PPF identifies and supports well-functioning and efficient organisations to deliver critical services to the people of PNG. It is currently managing six grants in the health and education sectors. It is designed to attract, identify and incentivise high performing organisations or consortia to expand the reach and coverage of evidence-based interventions. The PPF is just one of a portfolio of partnerships delivered by the two governments under the umbrella Papua New Guinea – Australia Governance Partnership, and is supported by Abt Associates via Abt PNG Management Services.
This partnership is working towards the following broad objectives:
- Human and Economic Development - Address key human and economic development challenges within PNG through support to organisations working to deliver quality services to the people of PNG.
- Impact at Scale: Focus support on high-performing organisations seeking to achieve, or support the achievement of development outcomes at scale.
- Alignment with PNG priorities: Ensure funding support is aligned with PNG’s development priorities.
- Driving a performance-based culture in PNG service delivery using results-based financing.
- Building expectations for the financial, management and audit capacity of PNG NGOs, service providers and governments.
- Support PNG’s decentralisation agenda by working to deliver services at sub-national level in collaboration with provincial governments.
The Grants Partnership Manager will be responsible for ensuring the high quality management and performance of the PPF. The Grants Partnership Manager will:
- Promote the partnership approach between Government of Papua New Guinea (GoPNG) and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and PPF through the delivery of quality outputs by the grantees, high quality management of PPF, effective communication, coordination and integration of activities within the broader Papua New Guinea – Australia Governance Partnership.
- Ensure focus on results-based financing, sub-national engagement, consortia building and drawing on lessons learned.
- Be responsible for the management of competitive grants in accordance with the Commonwealth Grant Rules and Guidelines, PPF approved standards and documentation, GoPNG requirements and grantee contracts.
- Lead the Grant Management Team (including Technical Specialists) in the planning, design and selection of well-functioning and organisationally sound grantees and consortia partners; completion of grant designs that meet GoPNG and DFAT policy requirements and standards; the preparation and management of grant agreements; the ongoing relationship with grant recipients; reporting and due diligence.
- Lead all aspects of Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) including data review and provide technical guidance in the development and implementation of M&E frameworks, systems, plans and processes, to support PPF objectives.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Minimum tertiary qualifications in monitoring and evaluation, project management, social science, economics, governance or another relevant discipline. Post-graduate qualifications desirable;
- Senior level experience in the management of high-value development programs with a minimum 10 years’ experience in the delivery and management of high volume, efficient procurement and competitive, performance-based grant programs, funded by international organisations;
- Strong technical M&E skills in qualitative and quantitative data analysis, the design and application of performance frameworks and evaluation design. Experience in statistical analysis and in the use of SPSS and/or STATA.
- Experience in developing and applying program logic and adaptive programming highly desirable;
- Excellent knowledge and operational understanding of DFAT policies and reporting requirements, the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) and the Commonwealth Grants Rules and Guidelines 2017.
For Further Information and Application Details
This position is classified under the Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF) as
C3. Further information in regards to the ARF and this opportunity can be found in the Information For Applicants available from the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website
About the Organization
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.