World Learning seeks a Graphic Designer with a background in both print and digital/web design. The Graphic Designer is responsible for the design portfolios for World Learning’s global programs, including flagship programs such as The Experiment in International Living, The Fulbright Specialist Program, The Iraqi Young Leaders Exchange Program, Global UGRAD, and many others. The designer is responsible for creating exceptional print marketing and general communications materials, including brochures, program catalogs, annual reports, one-pagers, banners, trade show and conference displays, and advertising. He/she will also create user-focused web designs for multiple organizational websites, working closely with an in-house front-end web developer, and provide ongoing advice to the web development team on best practices in digital design. The designer will use program data to create original infographics optimized for webpages and multiple social channels. The designer is also responsible for updating and following brand guidelines and ensuring a consistent look and feel for World Learning’s print and digital products. He/she will remain abreast of evolving industry standards, and continuously adapt, expand, and update World Learning’s materials. Experience with video editing, video compositing, or motion graphics a bonus.
The ideal candidate is creative and versatile, with experience working at an agency, with clients, and with both internal and external teams. He/she will be one of three designers in a busy marketing and communications team with members in Washington, DC, Vermont, and New York.
Interested candidate should please submit resume, cover letter, and portfolio.
The individual in this role will:
- Work with a team of marketing and communications professionals to bring vision to creative briefs and bring projects to life.
- Ensure brand standards are followed consistently across the organization and when necessary, help define standards, and further evolve the look and feel of the World Learning brand;
- Oversee design projects from conception to delivery;
- Design original pieces, including illustrations and infographics;
- Review junior designers’ work to ensure high quality products;
- Refine images, fonts, and layouts using graphic design software;
- Generate ideas to portray concepts and advertise programs;
- Increase user friendliness in digital products;
- Maintain brand consistency through all projects;
- Stay up-to-date with industry developments and tools;
- Create graphs and charts from data for use in presentations and publications;
- Develop designs and other material for web pages, interactive media, and multimedia projects;
- Design and/or manage creative components of all related digital properties, including but not limited to websites, e-mail, and social media;
- Create, translate, and interpret design wireframes/mockups/inspirations to HTML/CSS and CMS skins;
- Design cohesive ad campaigns across desktop, tablet and mobile devices;
- Work with third party vendors and become a savvy user of their tools (examples include CMS, email, and SEO vendors) to support overall user experience and marketing goals;
- Manage World Learning’s image library and update internal properties;
- Other duties for this role will be assigned as necessary/appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Interactive Design, Industrial Design, or Visual Communication Design preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in digital/interactive design;
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating exceptional visual design skills and innovative interactive work;
- Strong aesthetic skills with the ability to combine various fonts, colors, and layouts;
- Expert level knowledge of Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign). Familiarity with other core applications in the Adobe Creative Cloud suite;
- Detailed knowledge of typography, color, and photography both on and offline;
- Knowledge of digital activation campaigns (fundraising, marketing, messaging, brand engagement, advertising);
- A thorough understanding of emerging trends, standards, and best practices in UX/UI/digital design;
- Experience preparing mock-ups and design specifications for delivery to development colleagues;
- A passion for creating cutting edge materials - you want to be first, and best;
- Ability to create intuitive designs that deliver the best possible user experience;
- Strong visual orientation – the kind of person who processes the world by sketching in notebooks, or similar;
- Ability to solve problems, make decisions, and communicate effectively;
- Ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with a team;
- Ability to translate complicated global development stories into accessible design experiences;
- Detailed understanding of social influence and user experience for the web;
- Interested in connecting data and audience insights to improve web design;
- Understanding of the millennial market and trends;
- A self-starter capable of working with various personalities throughout the creative process;
- Excellent organization and ability to juggle multiple simultaneous demands;
- Experience designing interactive web experiences a plus;
- Self-motivated; willingness to do what it takes, and at times taking on tasks outside of defined roles.
About the Organization
For more than 85 years, World Learning has worked to create a more peaceful, sustainable, and just world. Our education, development, and exchange programs help people find their voices, connect with their communities, and strengthen the institutions that form the backbone of a democratic society. With our support, these emerging leaders tackle critical global issues like poverty, conflict, and inequality.
As a thriving international nonprofit organization with impact in 150 countries, World Learning works across six major program areas. We’re hard at work improving global education to ensure schools and teachers have the tools they need to support students — including English language instruction through our TESOL teacher training. We encourage civic engagement in communities around the world, and we strengthen institutions so that they can best serve their constituencies. Our workforce development programs help people cultivate the hard and soft skills they need to succeed. And we offer people-to-people exchanges for people of all ages who seek professional and academic enrichment.
All World Learning programs are grounded in five key approaches: experiential learning, leadership development, inclusive practices, innovation, and grants management. We believe in partnering with local experts, organizations, and institutions to find solutions that will truly work for each community. Together, we create the foundations for a better tomorrow.
World Learning is a member of the World Learning Inc. family, which also includes The Experiment in International Living and School for International Training.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.