We are looking for a highly skilled, creative Field Coordinator, to provide direction and manage overall program and operations in the area of responsibility, translating the vision and mission of Action Against Hunger at field level by working with staff members and country leadership to ensure implementation of country strategy and representing Action Against Hunger with key external stakeholders in the area.
Action Against Hunger has been operational in what is now South Sudan since 1985 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Main objective of the country program is to continue building on Action Against Hunger’s reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload states, while responding to emergency nutrition needs throughout the country. With central office in Juba, Action Against Hunger runs static interventions (nutrition, WASH, FSL) in Northern Bahr el Gazal (Aweil East), Warrap (Gogrial) and Fangak (in Jonglei), as well as an emergency roving team that can intervene throughout the country. We have a country team of around 300 staff (25 international) and a budget for 2018 projected at 10 M US$. Our main donors and partners in South Sudan include USAID/OFDA, WFP, UNICEF, SIDA, GIZ, GAC, ECHO and BPRM.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
overseeing the implementation of Action Against Hunger’s country strategy at field level in collaboration with the Program Managers and Technical Coordinators.
Key activities in your role will include:
Coordinate Country Strategy implementation at field level
- Participate in the development and update of the country strategy by providing information from the field.
- Ensure implementation of the country strategy at field level in collaboration with the Programme Managers and Technical Coordinators.
- Promote and operationalize Gender Minimum Standards and foster an equitable workplace in line with Action Against Hunger Gender Agenda.
Oversee the overall implementation of programs at field level
- Work with Programme Managers to ensure that work plans are in place and are realistic.
- Work with Programme Managers to forecast spending for activity costs.
- Review spending and implementation on a monthly basis with Programme Managers and present updated spending plans and output trackers to the coordination team during the Programme Review Meetings.
- With Programme Managers, identify any significant delays and disruptions to programmes and inform the CD / Grants Manager / respective technical coordinators / Head of Finance.
- Work with Programme Managers to ensure that technical feedback received from Technical Coordinators is integrated into programme implementation.
- Based on the Scheme of Delegation, review and confirm purchase requests that are over Programme Managers authorization limit to ensure that they are in line with spending plans.
Coordinating proposal development & reporting at field level
- Field Coordinators should review programme reports prepared by Programme Manager and ensure that they have been technically reviewed by Technical Coordinators before sending them to the Grants Manager / DCD Program.
- Field Coordinators should work with Programme Managers to budget the activity costs and targets for new proposals and ensure that they have been technically reviewed by Technical Coordinators before sending them to the Grants Manager / DCD Program.
Oversee the operation of the support functions at a field level
- Monitor compliance with financial, logistics and HR procedures.
- Review the logistics, financial and HR reports on a monthly basis to ensure they are correct and any issues are addressed.
- Ensure PSEA policy and procedures are put in place and operational.
Manage the team at field level
- Monitor the social climate in the field, promote gender equality and alert the HR Coordinator or Country Director in case of difficulties or problems.
- Globally manage training needs at field level.
- Facilitate and promote the smooth flow of information between field offices and head office.
- Ensure that appropriate technical support is provided to the field office by Technical Coordinators and Logistics, HR and Finance.
- Encourage compliance with the Action Against Hunger Charter and the fight against fraud, corruption, abuse of power and SEA; alert the Country Director in the event of fraud, corruption, SEA or abuse of power.
Manage security at field level
- Follow the evolution of security in the area through networking, data collection and analysis of information.
- In collaboration with the Security Manager and the Country Director make decisions at field level for the movement of teams based on security information.
- Update the Security Manager and Country Director in case of significant changes of the security context.
- Report critical incidents to the Security Manager and/or Country Director immediately and ensure that incident reports are provided within 24 hours.
- Support the Security Manager and Country Director in revising the Security Plan for the field on a 3 monthly basis, ensuring that it is relevant and up to date.
- Support the Security Manager and Country Director in revising the Evacuation and Hibernation Plan for the field on a 3 monthly basis, ensuring that it is relevant and up to date.
- Ensure that all staff in the field base are aware of the Security and Evacuation and Hibernation Plans and that assets are in place to ensure they can be implemented.
Manage the support costs of field bases
- Ensuring that support costs are managed in an efficient way and, in collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, ensuring that the appropriate costs are budgeted into grants at the proposal stage;
- In collaboration with the Finance Coordinator, planning cost coverage for all support costs, structural costs and staff, at a field cover and ensuring that the costs can be covered by the available budgets;
- Reviewing spend on support costs on a monthly basis to ensure that forecasting is accurate;
- In coordination with Logistics, develop annual work plans for the bases to ensure that bases are well maintained and meet essential standards in terms of infrastructure and security;
- In coordination with Logistics, develop an asset procurement plan for the bases to ensure that the appropriate communication and IT assets are available and functioning.
Represent Action Against Hunger at a field level
- Liaise with UN, NGOs and local authorities at a state level to ensure the coordination of activities.
- Ensure that Action Against Hunger is appropriately represented at sectorial meetings with the region;
- Coordinate strategic partnerships at a field level
- Bachelor’s degree in Social /Development/Humanitarian studies or any other related field.
- 5 years INGO experience preferably, with previous experience as a Field Coordinator.
- Min 5 years’ INGO experience in a management role, preferably as a Field Coordinator.
- Experience in hardship locations.
- Good budgeting and grant management skills.
- Good anticipation, planning skills, especially in changing work contexts.
- Experience communicating in different cultural work environments.
- Good communicator: verbal and written.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to work under pressure.
- Previous security management experience.
- Previous experience in logistics procedures.
- Good diplomatic and negotiation skills.
- Candidates must have a strong understanding & experience of Humanitarian Principles.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to gender equity and diversity.
- English as native language or native language level of proficiency.
- You have the ability to explain complex concepts in straight-forward language.
- You have a genuine interest in & commitment to the principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Your work style builds confidence with others, and you believe that every problem has a solution. It is the way we approach the problem that makes the difference.
- You are able to remain calm under pressure and can easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- You are ready and willing to integrate into hard working and fun team that believes in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
What we offer.
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger-USA Website
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications: 18th of July 2018 5.00 pm EAT.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For further information about Action Against Hunger-USA, please visit our website www.actionagainsthunger.org