The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was created to help foster social and economic development, create wealth and improve infrastructure connectivity in Asia by investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors. As a new addition to the global multilateral development bank (MDB) family, AIIB works closely with other multilateral and bilateral institutions as well as the private sector to improve infrastructure by promoting regional cooperation and partnerships. AIIB has 102 members, including 26 prospective members, and has an authorized capital of USD100 billion, of which USD20 billion is paid in. AIIB is a triple A-rated institution.
The Head of Operational Risk is responsible for framing and implementing the Bank’s operational risk strategy and framework, and reviewing periodically the appropriateness, efficiency and relevant nature of this framework, as well as conducting an independent review to ensure that the overall implementation and set-up is sound, efficient and aligned to global best practices.
They will lead a team of professionals and have second line oversight of the execution and implementation of operational risk management across all aspects of the Bank. They will need to have a robust understanding of all Bank processes and related controls. This role requires solid experience in similar roles as well as proven effective leadership skills.
- Defines the normative framework, methodologies and documentation that need to be implemented for an efficient operational risk management framework;
- Provides oversight, guidance, and challenge to the deployment of a consistent methodology, approach and execution standards of operational risk management practices;
- Independently reviews and evaluates the implementation of this framework by the business and support functions;
- Reviews and challenges the operational risk analysis performed by the business and support functions;
- Reviews incident reports, root cause analysis and action plans by the business and support functions.
- Reviews, challenges and complements, if necessary, the framework proposed on IT Security and Business Continuity Management;
- Designs and leads the implementation of the new and amended products risk control framework;
- In the context of new product governance, contributes to the assessment and validation of new products from an operational risk perspective;
- Reviews and validates the operational risk aspects of outsourcing activities;
- Conducts appropriate ongoing evaluation of systems, processes and infrastructure to ensure that policies, processes and guidance are in place to identify, assess, measure, manage and report operational risks;
- Increases the effectiveness of Management’s oversight by analyzing and reporting operational risk data;
- Distills insights and provides clarity to support risk-informed decisions at the executive committee level, ensure a risk dialogue among the Management team, and enable proper risk oversight by the Board;
- Promotes a strong control culture and general awareness of risk management across the business; and
- Assists in the delivery of other Bank projects.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience in operational risk management/risk control/audit/compliance or similar areas;
- Leadership experience in operational risk gained from prior positions with international financial institutions is an advantage;
- Thorough understanding of key bank business lines;
- Effective analytical, time management and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and oral skills in English;
- Proactive in implementing policies that support the Bank’s mandate;
- Exemplary project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; self-motivated and able to deliver high quality work within deadlines to meet team objectives;
- Able to collaborate closely with other Bank departments and stakeholders in addressing issues and finding solutions;
- Able to manage and motivate staff to achieve high quality results and encourage innovation in an open team-based environment;
- High personal integrity and emotional intelligence, with demonstrated ability to handle sensitive matters in a discreet and responsible manner;
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Finance, Business or related fields.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
About the Organization
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 102 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.