Head of Program - Maputo
International IDEA anticipates to manage a five-year programme “Support to Consolidation of Democracy in Mozambique” with funding from the European Union (EU) and co-funding from Austrian Development Agency (ADA). The programme aims to support consolidation of democracy by reinforcing the fairness, transparency and credibility of the electoral processes and strengthening capacities of the elected representatives and their democratic institutions. Interventions planned foresee to give support to the electoral cycles, also with a specific focus on gender participation. The programme will constitute four interlinked components: i) Domestic observation; ii) Civic and voter education; iii) Electoral legislation reform; and iv) Capacity building of newly-elected representatives and their institutions/bodies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages, represents and accounts for International IDEA programme in Mozambique, in line with International IDEA policies and procedures and responding to both EU and International IDEA needs;
- Promotes dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels, and provides and facilitates expert advice to political actors in Mozambique;
- Manages the implementation of and reporting and accounting for International IDEA (EU) programme in Mozambique;
- Ensures adherence to both EU and International IDEA regulations in programme planning and implementation;
- Promotes dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels and provides and facilitates expert advice to political actors in Mozambique;
- Manages and directs the team of staff and consultants to ensure full delivery of agreed programme outputs while fostering a spirit of collaboration, work ethics and team cohesion;
- Provides timely and insightful reports on political developments in Mozambique;
- Participates in dialogue processes, advocacy in the field of democracy, governance and social development, and in the preparation of publications;
- Liaises and works programmatically with co-implementing partners;
- Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation with those active in relevant fields, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community;
- Plans, facilitates, participates in and makes presentations at coordination meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Represents International IDEA externally as appropriate, including development and maintenance of positive and effective relations with the Government of Mozambique, EU, International IDEA Member States, the UN, and other relevant donors and interlocutors;
- Integrates a rights based approach, gender and diversity perspective in all country programme activities;
- Takes responsibility for overall programme risk management and actively manages risk in line with organisational policies and procedures;
- Ensures communication and cooperation with International IDEA’s global and crosscutting programmes;
- Ensures coordination and effective communication with EU and National Authorizing Officer (GON);
- Ensures compliance with communication and visibility requirements for EU;
- Ensures effective support for the convening of steering and technical committee meetings.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Leads assigned teams (including staff members and consultants) and projects with authority throughout the project life cycle; leads meetings and discussions;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Leads visibility initiatives for projects according to donor requirements;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Director Africa and West Asia Region
- Possesses excellent knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline (such as parliamentary support, elections, political participation and representation or constitution building) combined with excellent understanding of complexities of democratic transitions in order to approach programmatic activities in a holistic manner in the context of Mozambique;
- Demonstrates capacity in policy analysis and strategy development.
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Possesses a thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in Mozambique and/or in Africa where his/her work is implemented;
- Active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget and planning of his/her project(s).
- Leads a multi-talented team, sets team priorities and manages resources in projects of considerable complexity;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Solves complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Communicates complex ideas, anticipates potential objections and can persuade others, often at senior levels, to adopt a different view;
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Excellent knowledge in written and oral English and Portuguese required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in social science, political science, international law, international development, peace and development studies or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ of relevant experience, including substantial experience working in field positions;
- At least five (5) years’ experience in management positions, including senior level positions, with direct supervision over complex international teams;
- Experience working in the field of democracy and governance in Mozambique and/or Africa and other developing country contexts;
- Experience with EU funded projects would be a considerable asset.
Terms of Contract
- International Post
- Two (2) year fixed-term appointment
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 28 August 2018. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.