The Head of Section, Data Analysis and Outreach plays a key role in integrating the analytical and reporting role of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) with a pro-active corporate communication strategy that builds on on-going sustainable and dynamic partnerships between the UIS and its key stakeholders, donors and clients.
Core responsibilities include:
- Develop a corporate UIS information strategy for research, monitoring, policy and advocacy and its dissemination and manage the implementation of the strategy by staff of the Section, across teams and in Field Offices.
- Design and implement a work plan for analytical research and data presentation for the Institute. Identification of data and information needs and requirements of current and potential audiences (key clients, donors, stakeholders, etc.) in the field of education and in collaboration with science and technology, culture and communication teams of the Institute.
- Manage and lead a specialized team providing strategic and technical directives, training and guidance. Lead and oversee the preparation and management of the Section budget and work plans, ensuring efficient use of resources and timely and complete reporting.
- Promote data access, interpretation and communication in data analysis through workshops, seminars and other technical capacity-building activities in Member States and with different education constituencies. Develop internal capacity amongst UIS staff in data analysis and interpretation and provide technical leadership to UIS staff in this area.
- Lead resource mobilization and develop alternative funding mechanisms in the assigned areas. Deal with UN Agencies seeking or marketing joint programmes, bilateral and multilateral partners, Development Banks and International Institutions. Guide the development of cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies. Facilitate the development of partnerships with national governments, international organizations, NGOs and civil society. Engage potential donors with attractive plans, leading and supervising the entire funding process, including developing and writing proposals, agreements, validating progress reports and ensuring the timely implementation and completion of project/programme activities.
- Take responsibility for liaison with the academic community particularly in Canada. Formulate activities to link academics to UIS work.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned manager with 10 to 15 years of progressively responsible relevant experience, of which at least 5 years at the international level, in planning, directing and designing programme(s) to compile, process and disseminate statistical data, or in developing and advising on statistical analysis and methodology. S/he has demonstrated leadership skills within a complex multi-stakeholder context; honed analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills; knowledge of statistical/methodological development issues; and excellent communication as well as experience in fundrasing and supervisory abilities.
Kindly consult the UNESCO vacancy notice for a complete list of position requirements and apply online via UNESCO’s online application tool.
About the Organization
The UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) is the official and trusted source of data used to monitor key goals and targets of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). As the primary source for cross-nationally comparable statistics on education, science and technology, culture, and communication, we work with more than 200 countries and territories as well as leading UN partners, researchers, donors and civil society groups striving to achieve the SDGs.
Join the team that is producing the data to monitor and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals!