Background Information - Job Specific
UNOPS Country Offices /Multi Country Offices are responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results. There are currently 19 of these Country Offices / Multi Country Offices located in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Africa Latin America and the Carribean.
The Head of Support Services is a critical leadership role in the Country Offices / Multi Country Offices / Global Clusters, reporting to the Director, who provides general guidance and supervision. The role is responsible for providing an efficient and integrated support service for the Country Office / Multi Country Office / Global Cluster dealing on a daily basis with a diverse team of national and international professionals.
Global Rosters are designed to further strengthen UNOPS capacity to identify talent and to enable succession planning for business critical roles. Where a Global Roster has been established for a particular role, any future vacancy will be filled from the Global Roster, unless there is a need for a specific skill or expertise that members of the Global Roster do not have.
Persons who apply to be included in a Global Roster will undergo a rigorous assessment. This assessment will serve as a prequalification exercise, and those who successfully complete the assessment will be members of the Global Roster.
UNOPS is now seeking to replenish the Global Roster for the Head of Support Services role.
Information about the role of the Head of Support Services at UNOPS is set out below.
As these positions are in a number of locations, candidates are expected to be internationally mobile. Candidates with demonstrated field experience are encouraged to apply, and relevant work experience from field based assignments, including hardship duty stations will be an asset. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Kindly note that a WebEx information session will take place on the 13th of September at 13:00 Copenhagen time. Please send us an email on email@example.com if you would like to register for the WebEx.
- Operational leadership, advisory and technical support
- Project planning and coordination support
- Financial and compliance management
- Human resource management
- Administration and information technology
- Knowledge management and innovation
Click here for further information and to apply: https://jobs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/vadetails.aspx?id=16339
- A Master’s degree in a relevant related field is required.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience covering at least two of the following operations functions: Procurement, Finance, Logistics/ Asset Management and Human Resources. Knowledge of the other functions is desirable.
- A minimum of 3 years of leadership experience, including a proven track record managing staff and operational systems, is required.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Experience dealing with UN regulations, rules and policies in the areas of contracting, procurement and human resources is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English or French or Spanish is essential.
- Knowledge of Arabic or another official UNOPS language is an asset.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace-building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.