Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health staff in selected country programs in the Middle East. Medair is recruiting for multiple positions, and each position will advise at least one, and possibly two, of the following countries: Iraq, Lebanon, Syria. Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the health aspects of the country programmes. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health authorities and other NGOs. Lead on all health elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promote best practice in the health programmes and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
Take a look at Medair’s work in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq.
Amman, Jordan, Damascus, Syria, or other locations, depending on the allocated country programme(s).
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the health and nutrition programmes and of the country contexts, with a view to strategically developing new projects and proactively planning for responsible exit.
- Give technical advice to field managers and HQ on potential involvement and implementation.
- Define appropriate guidelines for the health and nutrition aspects of Medair’s work in country.
- Provide technical support to the health and nutrition teams, including the evaluation and the writing of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that objectives are met.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain an oversight of medicines and health supplies ordered for the health projects.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the project.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness and partnerships.
- Seek out relevant networks on specific health-related humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips, and ensure programme details are transmitted.
- Represent Medair, at national health cluster, working groups, with national and/or local government departments, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the health sector and avoiding duplication with the work of other agencies (e.g. NGOs, UN, etc).
- Ensure that all health staff is adequately trained. Create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals, particularly with regard to technical skills.
- Work with the relevant field managers and HQ staff to plan and construct health budgets.
- Ensure the health project expenditure is in line with approved budgets, advising on potential under/over spend and recommending appropriate corrective action.
- Ensure health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements.
- Provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of health programmes and interventions.
- Maintain a resource library of materials. Ensure all have access to necessary information as required.
- Contribute constructively to Medair’s regional approach in the Middle East, in particular through sharing relevant information and resources; participating in regular (virtual) meetings of Medair’s Health Advisors in the region; and contributing to the development of common approaches.
- Overall responsibility for staff health/occupational health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country, supporting the designated Medair Staff Health focal points in each country in ensuring that health procedures and compliance and development procedures are in place.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree; Medical doctor desirable.
- Clinical degree with Public Health or MSc in International/Global Health degree strongly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 2 years in humanitarian emergency context.
- 1 year managing and coordinating emergency responses – outbreaks, displaced populations.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced leadership, project management, planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Experience of the Middle East context.
- This is a capital-based position.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.