Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health staff. Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the health aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health and nutrition authorities. Actively participate in health sector coordination supporting the development of quality standards and protocols to improve the overall response and participate in the capacity building of less experienced organizations. Lead on all health elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promoting best practice in the health programmes, contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
The current Health programme comprises two Health projects. One is funded by Global Affairs Canada and Swiss Solidarite / Chaîne du Bonheur (CDB) and is focussed on the delivery of primary healthcare services and strengthening of the healthcare system in Lebanon within Social Development Centres run by the Ministry of Social Affairs (MoSA). The other is funded by the EU MADAD Fund and CDB, and aims to improve the well-being and resilience of Syrian refugees and Lebanese women, girls, men and boys (WGMB) affected by conflict and sexual gender-based violence (SGBV). Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Beirut and Zahle/Bekaa valley, Lebanon. Take a look at Medair’s work in Lebanon.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 18 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health and Project Management Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the country health and nutrition programmes and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and/or surrounding areas.
- Give technical advice to field managers and HQ on potential involvement in new health and or nutrition interventions and internal health and nutrition capacity for implementation.
- Lead on the development and implementation of an appropriate and effective Health strategy.
- Provide technical support to the health and nutrition teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects, and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that project objectives are met within the stated timeframes and in accordance with recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for health and nutrition data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain an oversight of medicines and health and nutrition supplies ordered for the projects, supporting the health, nutrition and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of supplies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners, etc.
- Seek out relevant networks or task groups on specific health and nutrition humanitarian aid issues.
- Represent Medair at national health cluster/sector, nutrition cluster/sector, coordination, sector, etc.
- Be involved in the recruitment of health and nutrition staff, providing advice on technical skills.
- Ensure that all health and nutrition staff are adequately trained. Plan and develop training material.
- Construct health and nutrition budgets. Ensure expenditures are in line with approved budgets.
- Ensure health and nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and international. Follow the direction of the Senior Health and Nutrition Advisor at HQ.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to HQ advisors, as well as field staff.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 4 years post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- At least 2 year management experience in a Health context. Experience of MHPSS and SGBV desireable.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Good negotiation, problem solving and communication ability. Experience in training/mentoring staff.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.