Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health, nutrition, and protection staff in Syria and to interact with Medair’s Senior Health Advisor based at Headquarters. Peer communication with colleagues in the region on quality and innovative approaches is expected. Develop the strategies, guide, monitor, and evaluate the health, nutrition and protection aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health authorities and other NGOs. Provide technical expertise and input on all health, nutrition, and protection elements of proposals and reports, provide capacity building for national and international staff, promote best practice in the health programmes and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
The Syria programme is part of the Middle East response and is significantly growing. Medair was first registered in Syria in 2015 and has since successfully completed projects in Rural Damascus, Homs and Aleppo Governorates for rehab and re-equipping of primary healthcare clinics, development of community-based health programmes, capacity building for health staff and community workers, establishment of nutrition programmes, the rehabilitation of urban water systems, and the provision of shelter kits to vulnerable households. Additionally, in response to the need for, and gaps in, support for people with physical disabilities at household and community level, Medair is responding with further interventions to this vulnerable group. Medair is planning to expand to Deir Ez Zor Governorate before the end of 2018 with similar programming. Access to project locations by international staff is limited, as movement permissions are often restricted, however national staff typically have regular direct access.
Workplace & Conditions
Damascus, Syria. This is a capital-based position. Take a look at Medair’s work in Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Nutrition and Protection (Including Disability) Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the health, nutrition and disability programmes and of the country contexts.
- Develop clear strategies and guidelines for the programmes, giving technical advice and input.
- Lead on the mainstreaming of protection issues and its integration across all sectors.
- Provide technical support to the health, nutrition and protection teams, including the evaluation and the writing of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that objectives are met.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Maintain technical oversight of medicines, medical equipment, and health supplies ordered.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the programme.
- Develop and maintain high level relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness and partnerships.
- Seek out relevant networks on specific health- nutrition and protection-related humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted.
- Represent Medair at national health cluster, working groups, with national and/or local government departments, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the health sector.
- Develop relevant technical training programme for all health staff (international and national). Create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints.
- Support line managers in inductions and appraisals, particularly with regard to technical skills.
- Work with the relevant field managers and HQ staff to plan and construct health, nutrition and protection budgets.
- Ensure health, nutrition and protection projects are implemented in line with donor requirements.
- Provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of health programmes and interventions.
- Maintain a resource library of materials. Ensure all have access to necessary information as required.
- Contribute to Medair’s regional approach in the Middle East, in particular through sharing relevant information and resources; and contributing to the development of common approaches.
- Overall responsibility for setting the standards on staff health/occupational health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree; Medical doctor desirable.
- Clinical degree with Public Health or MSc in International/Global Health degree strongly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 2 years in humanitarian emergency context. Experience of the Middle East context.
- 1 year managing and coordinating emergency responses – outbreaks, displaced populations.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced leadership, project management, planning, assessment and analytical skills.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.