Position Summary: Relief International (RI) currently seeks a dynamic, hands-on Health and Nutrition Technical Coordinator to support our Yemen Program. The Technical Coordinator will provide technical direction to project staff and partners, according to the projects’ activities, and provide recommendation for improvements in RI’s service delivery and overall quality of the program. The capacity building of National Teams and local partners will be an integrated component of his/her work. In addition, the Coordinator will, on an on-going basis, assess current health and nutrition needs and assist in program development to secure funding for new projects from a range of donors. This position requires an individual who is used to the pace of emergency response programming, does not require close supervision or direction, and is flexible and highly responsive.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Review the short and long range plans for delivery of project services, and provide guidance to the RI staff, health facility staff and/or local partners to improve planning, management and delivery of quality services or various program components.
- Evaluate activity progress and determine necessary actions in short and long term.
- Support medical audits to assess status of health and nutrition services, quality of supply and facilities, and on-site health information systems, in accordance with RI and international standards and policies.
- Provide a summary of recommended areas of improvement, areas of success, and lead the commencement of an action plan with RI staff, local partners and/or health facility staff to evolve and make positive systems improvements where needed.
- Share methods, approaches and tools with RI colleagues across the region, and contribute toward RI’s regional response strategy by ensuring programmatic coherence, innovation and responsiveness.
- Revise program reports and other types of reports (ex. assessment, KAP etc.) that are timely and meet quality methodological, institutional and donor requirements.
- Represent RI at Health-sector working groups, coordination meetings as well during other stakeholder meetings (if relevant), and maintain a positive, continuous and visible presence for RI.
- Take part in field trips to assess project sites and provide support to team as needed.
- Develop and/or revise health monitoring systems and record keeping methods that support routine country-level, international, interagency, and donor reporting as appropriate.
- Propose and implement capacity building activities aimed at enhancing skills of National Teams, local health providers and/or partners in delivery of primary care, maternal and child health, reproductive health, etc.
- Provide direction to RI during outbreaks of disease or other health emergencies.
- Assess health and nutrition needs of populations affected by the conflict in Yemen, together with program development teams and M&E Department.
- Take part in quality monitoring of the program through cooperation with M&E Department and other teams.
- Provide technical input, writing and budgetary input for new program design, as needed.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Advanced degree in a health or nutrition field (M.P.H., MD, R.N., etc);
- Minimum of seven years professional experience in lead management implementing emergency response programs, preferably in a conflict setting and in the Middle East;
- Solid background and knowledge of UN agencies and other international emergency response systems, standards and modalities of work in Health and Nutrition sectors;
- Experience in technical management of programs, coaching or capacity building of teams and M&E activities;
- Strong skills in remote setting management;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and strategic planning skills;
- Excellent English writing skills, and Arabic preferred;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge of other sectors (WASH, Protection, FSL) is an asset.
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence.
- We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
About the Organization
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.