Requisition ID: req2293
Job Title: Health Coordinator - Maternity Cover
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The humanitarian situation in Libya has deteriorated since the 2014 civil war. According to the United Nations Humanitarian Response Plan for 2018, 1.1 million people are in need of protection and essential and lifesaving assistance, including health, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), food security, shelter and non-food items (NFI), and longer-term assistance like access to education, of which 1.05 million require urgent health assistance. In response, the IRC launched an emergency program in September 2016 in Libya that provided medical care, medicines, and medical supplies in hospitals and primary health care centers (PHCCs) in Misrata. Since then, the IRC’s health programming has expanded to a mobile health team model (MHT), made up of Libyan staff, to provide primary health care services in PHCCs in Misrata and Sirte, and in two detention centers in Tripoli. As the IRC tries to integrate programming wherever possible, the MHT in Misrata also includes GBV case managers, targeting women and children. In addition, IRC is currently finalizing the establishment of a UNHCR-funded community development center, which will provide primary health care services to refugees, as well as serve as a women’s safe space.
IRC Libya is currently undergoing an expansion, with increased MHTs in Tripoli under a DFID-funded, DRC-led, multi-country consortium focused on migrants. Similar to the MHT model in Misrata and Sirte, this MHT will provide primary health care services and GBV case management in static PHCCs, with a focused target on reaching migrants. IRC is also anticipating the successful negotiations under a second consortium project that would have similar interventions as the DFID consortium grant, in a different are of Tripoli.
This position is responsible for overseeing all primary healthcare aspects of IRC’s health programs in Libya. Particular responsibility of the position will be to oversee IRC’s primary healthcare interventions in the reproductive health sector, communicable and non-communicable diseases, pharmacy, and other areas as needed. The Health Coordinator will be based in Tunis with frequent travel to Misrata and Tripoli, Libya. The Health Coordinator will work with the Deputy Director Program and Health Technical Unit to roll out and follow up on submission of solicited/unsolicited proposals as well as donor and government reports.
* In consultation with the deputy director programs and health technical advisor design health projects that fit the Libyan context and needs identified
* Draft project proposals and develop budgets for health programming in Libya
Technical Monitoring and Program Quality
* Overall responsibility for the quality of implementation of health projects implemented in Libya.
* Ensure sound data collection and information management systems are in place for ongoing performance analysis and programmatic action based on data and identified needs.
Project Management & Reporting
* Ensure the timely submission of quality donor reports for all health projects, including reporting against the logical framework.
* Assist the health managers to draft the information needed for donor reports for their operational areas.
* Review all reports prepared by the field staff and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
* In collaboration with program managers, review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for health programs on a monthly basis with staff.
Representation and Coordination
* Identify opportunities to collaborate and coordinate with MoH, UN agencies, and NGO partners, to ensure complementarity of IRC’s health strategy within the broader humanitarian health sector
* Represent IRC to government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required
Staff development/capacity building
* Provide supportive supervision to health managers in Tripoli and Misrata, including development and monitoring of regular work plans
* Participate in training and mentoring of health and other staff members in response to capacity building needs
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
* Position reports to: Deputy Director Programs
* Closely collaborate with: Health Technical Advisor, Finance Controller, Health Managers, Integrated Protection Coordinator, Field Coordinators, Grants Coordinator
* Health professional (MD, RN or Midwife), MPH is strongly preferred, but not required.
* At least three years’ experience with direct management of the implementation of health programs in a volatile insecure environment.
* Excellent organizational and program management experience, including with staff work plans, budget management and monitoring and evaluation.
* Strong project design and proposal writing skills
* Excellent leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
* Excellent interpersonal, coordination and networking skills.
* Experience with situation analysis and health assessments.
* Experience in capacity building and mentoring of staff.
* Excellent problem solving skills, and demonstrated ability to handle pressure and improve.
* Positive attitude and good sense of humor
* Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
The position will be based in Tunis, Tunisia with shared housing, with frequent travel to Libya