USAID’s Strengthening Systems for Better Health (SSBH) is a five-year cooperative agreement (2018 – 2022), implemented by Abt Associates in partnership with Save the Children, the Karnali Academy of Health Sciences and Management Support Services. The project is designed to improve health outcomes, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups, by improving access to and quality of maternal, child, and reproductive health services, with specific focus on newborn care. The project is implemented throughout Karnali Province and in targeted areas of Province 5. SSBH is recruiting new team members to plan, manage and deliver technical and material support for the Government of Nepal’s (GoN) response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Under the supervision of the Health Emergency Response Director, the Health Emergency Response Manager manages day-to-day implementation of COVID-19 response activities throughout the program area. S/he provides technical and programmatic support to provincial and district team/staffs for the planning, timely implementation, monitoring and reporting of program activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Provincial Team Lead and other provincial SSBH staff, plan, manage and oversee health emergency and COVID-19-related interventions at provincial, district and municipal levels, ensuring both the technical quality of the work and compliance with approved workplans and budgets.
- Provide direct supervision and manage the performance of the provincial and district-based emergency response staff and dedicated Finance and Admin Assistant, ensuring that staff have the tools and resources required to engage with counterparts and deliver appropriate technical and material support in a timely manner.
- Serve as the key liaison with the Karnali and Province 5 government and health officials in relation to the COVID-19 response. Foster robust working relationships with these counterparts, engaging them in planning, implementation and monitoring as appropriate, keeping them apprised of project progress and challenges.
- Ensure that interventions are tailored to the specific needs of provincial and municipal emergency response and health officials and mechanisms, and implemented in accordance with approved emergency response plans, guidelines, protocols and SOPs.
- Provide oversight for management of COVID-19 resources in the provinces, districts and municipalities; ensure adherence to Abt and SSBH policies and procedures and compliance with USAID financial management norms and regulations.
- Provide oversight for office operations and administrative support for program activities, ensuring excellent logistics support to field level operations, and adherence to SSBH rules and regulations governing finance and operations.
- Coordinate closely with other USAID implementing partners and other health sector actors working in response to COVID 19 pandemic to ensure collaboration, reduce duplication, and share data/information as appropriate.
- Ensure adequate record-keeping and documentation in relation to COVID-19 activities, in collaboration with SSBH MEL team staff, using standard SSBH recording and reporting tools and formats. Mobilize staff to contribute to monthly reports for USAID and work with Health Communications Specialist and other technical staff to produce other technical reports, case studies, success stories and the like.
- A Master’s degree in public health or related field
- At least eight years of experience in designing, managing, monitoring and evaluating health programs, including responses to health emergencies
- Ability and willingness to work/travel in remote areas within short notice in the context of COVID-19
- Strong networking and team mobilization skills
- Computer skills, including effective working skills in remote conditions
- Excellent written/oral skills in Nepali and English
- Understanding of the Nepal health system, networks and working in the context of a health emergency; emergency response experience preferred
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.