Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment?
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done. We believe in pragmatisms over ideology and develop solutions tailored to a client’s context and political realities without replicating global models and all-purpose solutions. We know that to drive change, we must focus on how the world could be, rather than making excuses for the status quo.
ThinkWell is implementing the Strategic Purchasing for Primary Health Care (SP4PHC) project, which in Indonesia aims to improve primary health care (PHC) outcomes by supporting the national health insurance program, Jaminan Kesehatan Nasional (JKN), to purchase primary health care services more strategically. The key elements of the project are to enhance the delivery of quality services, focusing on Family Planning (FP) and Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (MNCH). Our approach is to work in partnership with government and the private sector to develop policy reforms to strengthen strategic purchasing.
The SP4PHC project proposes to achieve the project aims by supporting JKN to:
- Increase value proposition for private midwives to contract with JKN.
- Leverage purchasing to improve the quality and access to PHC services.
- Open market opportunities for private businesses to respond to barriers and service gaps related to FP and MNCH
- Explore how JKN can strengthen public sector PHC services in remote rural settings.
ThinkWell is in the early stages of the project; we are in the process of negotiating partnerships with the Ministry of Health (MoH), the National Family Planning Board, (BKKBN), the National Administration Body for Health Insurance (BPJS Kesehatan), the Association of Midwives, (IBI), and the National Ministry for Planning and development (Bappenas). ThinkWell’s aim is to build a small, flexible, highly effective and impactful team that facilitates the project implementation strategically targets our resources whilst leveraging other government, development and private partners to conduct uptake and scale up.
Job Location: This is a full-time position based in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Indonesian Nationals Only)
Reports to: Senior Policy Advisor
ThinkWell is seeking a dynamic forward thinking Health Financing and Policy Specialist who ideally has experience in both public and private sectors. This is an exciting opportunity to develop innovative approaches to influencing health policy rooted in practical implementation and building platforms across public and private sectors.
The Specialist will work under the supervision of a Senior Policy Advisor on all aspects of the Strategic Purchasing for Primary Health Care (SP4PHC) project including analytics of quantitative and qualitative information for policy analysis related to strategic purchasing; the design and implementation of prototypes; the development of a private sector engagement strategy; monitoring and evaluation, learning and knowledge management; building strategic partnerships; development of new project designs and proposals; as well as writing publications for international peer reviewed journals and Indonesian academic and policy audiences.
Evidence for Policy and Systems Analysis
- Data analyses, synthesis of information and data on strategic purchasing
- Conduct analysis of BPJS-K claims data as required by the Senior Policy Advisor
- Conduct literature reviews related to current evaluations, studies, publications on midwifery practice, family planning practice, MNCH and other topics as required
- Conducting qualitative and quantitative information gathering from the BPJS Kesehatan, private midwives, MoH, and the BKKBN and other partners
- Under the supervision of the Senior Policy Adviser, undertake scenario development of strategic purchasing or payment models for private midwives and more broadly for primary health care to provide quality of care JKN members
- Prepare communications for policy and technical meetings/forums
Data analysis for learning agenda and knowledge management
- Support data collection and synthesis for the learning agenda based on key evaluation/learning questions
- Synthesize M&E data for the learning agenda
- Synthesizing data and information into policy-oriented reports and analysis
- Liaise with learning agenda lead in HQ and participate in global learning agenda forums
- Contribute to the development of knowledge management system
- Maintain project database of all data, information, reports, technical papers/publications
- Drafting policy reviews, policy briefs, national and international scientific publications,
Technical Support and Pilot Implementation
- Contribute to the design of strategic purchasing pilot to test policy options at a district level
- Conduct field monitoring of pilot and liaise with external third party for M&E of pilot project
- Provide technical inputs and support the development of a private sector engagement strategy
- Provide technical support to the government and private sector partners as required
- Support preparation of new project proposals as required by SPA or Country Representative
- Develop and maintain strong working relations with technical and management units in partner organizations (BPJS-K; MoH; BKKBN; IBI; Bappenas, District Health Offices and private sector agencies)
- Arranging interviews, discussions, meetings with various stakeholders related to FP and MNCH and others as required
- Contribute to the development of strategic networks and partnerships to build the portfolio of ThinkWell Indonesia
- Minimum master’s degree in health financing/economics, public health, health policy or equivalent
- 5-10 years of professional experience of health financing and policy in the Indonesian health system
Skills and Competencies
- Good understanding of the current health financing and wider health sector reforms
- Good understanding of family planning and MNCH health policy and systems
- Good understanding of strategic purchasing concepts and strategic purchasing through JKN
- Strong research capacity with the ability to undertake quantitative health financing and economics analysis, previous experience of applying economic analysis
- Demonstrated experience in health program design, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong presentation skills, ability to synthesize quantitative and qualitative data into easy to understand briefs and presentations
- Excellent written and oral communications in English and Bahasa Indonesian
- Knowledge of private sector engagement in JKN and primary health care is an advantage
- Prior experience of working in internationally funded projects in Indonesia is an advantage
- Experience of working in or conducting analysis of private health sector is an advantage
Who you are;
- An aspiring leader who models and embraces facilitation and mentorship as the primary tools for leadership;
- A great communicator, able to inspire staff around ThinkWell’s advocacy-oriented and transformative vision
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of achieving development outcomes;
- A natural networker, with intuitive ability to relate and connect with people from different cultures, orientations, and operating lenses (political, technical, funder, business partner, etc); with special acumen on maintaining positive relations in a virtual world.