The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project is a USAID-funded 5-year, $209 million global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being. Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards. USAID’s LHSS Vietnam activity will focus on improving health financing for HIV and TB prevention and control, strengthening supply chain systems, and supporting the expansion of the Social Health Insurance (SHI) scheme to improve the provision of quality care and treatment at a national scale. The project will work collaboratively at the national level with the Government of Vietnam (GVN), particularly the Ministry of Health and the Vietnam Social Security (VSS) to support GVN efforts to increase sustainable domestic financing for health, including TB and HIV, ensure quality of HIV care, and to seek efficiencies in health spending and procurement and supply chain management.
The Health Financing Lead will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical direction and support to the project team and counterparts in the implementation of activities that support the Government of Vietnam (GVN) to increase domestic financing and improve resource allocation and efficient use for HIV prevention and treatment services in Vietnam. This will also include supporting the GVN to develop and implement a SHI integration plan for TB services. This position reports to the Deputy Chief of Party.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership in the implementation of key activities. These activities may include: strengthening GVN capacity to collect and use data to advocate for increased domestic financing and improved budget allocations for HIV; maximizing the use of existing domestic financing for HIV and ensuring that funding is used efficiently across program areas and among relevant actors; supporting the GVN to maintain quality and effectiveness of HIV services under SHI; and supporting the GVN to develop and implement a SHI integration plan for TB services
- Lead and manage the implementation of activities aimed at strengthening the government of Vietnam’s health financing capabilities
- Ensure health financing strategy activities are conducted in coordination with ongoing project and government of Vietnam activities
- Build lasting in-country capacity for financial management and health financing
- Contribute to reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff.
- Implement activities in a way that is harmonized with the objectives to ensure complementary and efficient implementation.
- Contribute to the timely production of quality deliverables to USAID, such as quarterly and annual reports, work plans, budgets, technical reports, and publications.
- Guide, coordinate and collaborate with project staff and partners in the implementation of cross-cutting activities
- Coordinate with international and local subcontractors, working with regional and technical staff to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and appropriate
- Masters Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate (desirable), in Public Health, Business Administration, Finance, or other relevant field
- 8-10 years of relevant professional experience with a Masters Degree, or 6-8 years with a Doctorate
- Substantial developing country context experience, in facilitation of health financing system development and strengthening, including central level coordination and systems integration
- Experience in capacity building in the area of financial management
- Knowledge and past experience of working on USAID project
- Proven experience of working with Government of Vietnam and Ministry of Health strongly desired
- Knowledge of Social Health Insurance (SHI) issues and key stakeholders in Vietnam, including experience with MOH and VSS highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government counterparts and coordinate various actors such as different Ministry of Health units, Vietnam Social Security, other ministries and government agencies, donors and NGOs
- Proven professional knowledge of MS Office applications and appropriate organizational skills
- Fluent in Vietnamese with excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.