Palladium Kenya is recruiting a Health Finance Officer who will support the USAID-funded Health Policy Plus (HP+) Kenya and East Africa team to support activities related to domestic resource mobilization for health and HIV. In addition, the person will support both national and county government effort to generate evidence to inform prioritization of health and HIV within the Medium Term Expenditure Framework. These responsibilities will require a person with knowledge on national and county governments budgeting and health finance issues, costing, and economic analysis. This is a full-time position based in Nairobi, Kenya and reporting to the Health Financing Advisor.
* Assess health finance impact and other related health financing studies to improve access to key financial information to determine feasibility and sustainability of scaling up health finance interventions.
* Participate in the design and implementation of technical support activities related to health finance policy in Kenya.
* Stay abreast of key developments in health finance and resource allocation innovations and interventions in Kenya and more broadly in East Africa, in order to inform technical support activities under the HP+ Kenya Field Program and other projects. This includes frequent interaction with the Government of Kenya stakeholders at the national and county levels relevant to this area as well as multilateral partners and donor agencies.
* Interact with internal and external resources and other experts to bring new and “cutting edge” ideas into approaches.
* Provide assistance to others on matters related to topic area of health financing related to research and evaluation and applies relevant methodologies to programmatic issues of importance.
* Represent the projects, company, and programs in the health financing area in Kenyan and regional forums, as well as with others in the professional community and in countries of collaboration independent of technical supervision
* Conduct all work to accepted standards of research ethics
* Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
* Significant experience in health economics in the context of Kenya and/or East Africa
* Advanced degree (MA, MSc, PhD) in economics or health economics with academic specialization in health financing or commensurate work experience in health finance
* Experience: With Masters-level qualification in health economics: 3-4 years of experience required, with at least 1-2 years in Kenya. With Doctoral-level qualification in economics or health economics: 1-2 years of experience required, with at least 1 year in Kenya.
* Experience in resource tracking including application of System of Health Accounts, 2011
* Fluency in English required and Swahili preferred
* Sound knowledge of methodologies used in health finance research, cost-effectiveness analysis, quantitative analysis, and statistical/econometric analysis
* Knowledge of relevant literature related to topic area
* Appropriate software skills necessary to conduct research, and to conduct analysis of study data, such as STATA, SPSS, or equivalent
* Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences (writing examples may be required)
* Ability and willingness to travel within Kenya and to implement studies on a national basis
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.