R4D is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Health Financing Program Officer (PO) to join our Global Health Team and provide technical support to the African Collaborative for Health Financing Solutions (ACS) project. ACS is a 5-year USAID-funded project focused on assisting sub-Saharan countries advance UHC through a unique model that works across the continent to support regional bodies and country-level multi-stakeholder platforms to share knowledge and strengthen accountability in support of health financing policies and processes that further progress toward UHC. ACS currently has country operations in Botswana, Namibia and Uganda, with potential work starting in Benin in early 2019, and conducts ‘regional’ activities with partners based in Nairobi, Kenya. The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the ACS Health Financing Technical Lead.
The Health Financing Program Officer will be responsible for supporting the ACS Health Financing Technical Lead to ensure technical quality and use of appropriate health financing approaches in ACS country implementation, participate in countries’ needs assessment, support regional activities with a health financing focus, help ensure joint learning between countries, and facilitate technical assistance to and between ACS project countries. S(he) will be expected to continuously build and manage relationships and connections with other health financing programs and must be well-versed in translating the state of the art in health financing into practical implementation approaches that can support moving countries towards Universal Health Coverage.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Support to ACS countries on country work plan implementation
- Gain understanding of the network of regional and R4D based technical experts available to ACS and help to identify best fit individuals to execute specific tasks
- Support development and implementation of country plans, including conducting pre-consultation trip support studies and analytical work, assisting in the development of technical and operational work plans, and assisting in-country staff to implement activities related to health financing
- Assist in the facilitation of technical assistance between the Health Financing Technical Lead, R4D Global Staff, and ACS Country Team staff, building and executing plans to, over time, transition technical assistance from global to regional and country-based support
- Relatedly, support an ethos of coaching, mentoring and facilitation in the execution of all tasks
- Contribute to the organization and facilitation of training.
Knowledge management and joint learning
- Support development of knowledge management and communication processes/strategies including advising on key lessons learned/topical areas to document and share within broader regional and country learning agenda
- Contribute to the joint learning opportunities focused on health financing for ACS staff
- Support the translation, dissemination and use of knowledge products focused on health financing and ensure linkages to country and regional learning agendas
- Contribute to country and ACS core quarterly and annual progress reports and other materials requested by program funders
- Establish and engage key partners and stakeholders in implementation of ACS country and core activities
- Contribute to activities to raise awareness of project including blogging, and participation in key workshops, conferences, etc.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Degree in international development, public health, health economics, public/social policy or similar
- Minimum 4 years of direct work experience related to health financing and related
fields, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience creating partnerships and successfully managing external relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver
high-quality results within tight timeframes
- Experience working in/with public or private sector health financing organizations
- Excellent analytical skills and comfort working with data
- Strong experience facilitating technical workshops, including developing agendas and background materials, presenting to and facilitating discussion with senior
global health leaders, developing summary reports of the proceedings and agreed
- Experience working on cross-country and remote projects
- Ability to speak French is an added bonus
- Willingness to travel and/or be located regionally
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect and actively avoid silo thinking, turf politics and negativity.