Abt Associates, a major U.S.-based research, technical assistance, and international development company, seeks a highly qualified health financing specialist for the Global Health Supply Chain Technical Assistance – Tanzania (GHSC-TA-TZ) Project.
This program, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), aims to strengthen Tanzanian supply systems for health commodities through technical assistance to the Government of Tanzania. Working in coordination with in-country and development partners, the project supports strategic planning, improved delivery of commodities to service sites, stakeholder engagement in supply systems; and the creation of an enabling environment for improved supply chain performance. Abt Associates is a subcontractor to the GHSC prime implementer - Price Waterhouse Cooper (PWC) - and is responsible for strategic planning, governance, health financing, and private sector activities.
The Health Financing Specialist (HFS) will work under the supervision of the GHSC Deputy Chief of Party. The HFS will lead activities to strengthen costing and financing approaches in support of health commodities availability and health supply chain systems, and will work with other team members on the eventual transition of supply chain management from donor assistance to government ownership.
Position responsibilities and minimum qualifications are listed below. The HFS will be based in Dar es Salaam but will be expected to travel to other locations up to 30% of the time.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Identify supply chain cost drivers and anticipated financial gaps, and financial resources required to fully support commodities supply chain operations
- Perform internal and external fund tracking and trending
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and other stakeholders in estimating the operation costs of planned strategic activities and making efficient use of resources
- Support the implementation of the current supply chain results-based financing scheme.
- Determine the potential impact of Direct Health Facility Financing (DHFF) on commodities management as roles and responsibilities of key players change
- Coach relevant stakeholders within the MoHCDGEC, Ministry of Finance and Planning (MoFP), President’s Office, Regional Administration and Local Government Authorities (PO-RALG) and Medical Stores Department (MSD) in estimating and tracking the cost of supply chain activities and provide technical assistance of cost-efficient strategies
- Assist the GHSC Governance Advisor in establishing a communications strategy to advocate for investments in supply chain
- Work with stakeholders on sustainability strategies, including identify new funding sources, such as Other Development Assistance (ODA), domestic resources mobilization, payment/reimbursement models (such as point-of-care payment and micro health insurance schemes), as well as the leveraging of private sector resources.
- Serve as lead in coordinating with other USAID funded projects to ensure strategic alignment and avoid duplication of efforts related to similar activities
- Along with GHSC team members, participate in annual reviews and project planning
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of all required technical reporting and deliverables for the health policy and financing portfolio
- Contribute to brainstorming and development of research agendas and special projects related to improving health policy and financing
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Degree in Public Health, Public Affairs, Supply Chain or other relevant field, Masters or Doctorate Degree preferred.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in a government or donor-supported project environment
- Background in health financing and resource mobilization
- Experience in using/applying costing models/tools
- Experience in developing and/or implementing result-based financing models
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks, and work in close collaboration with other steam members
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, initiative, and good judgment
- Advanced written/oral skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Computer literacy (MS Office)
- Knowledge of commodities supply chain management is desirable
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit each of the following:
- Updated CV
- Cover Letter describing how the candidate meets the minimum qualifications
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com