FHI 360’s Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Division has an opening for a Health Financing Technical Advisor position in our Washington DC office. The HSS division collaborates with program partners in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) to provide technical assistance to disease-focused programs and strengthen key health systems functions at facility and community levels, across public and private sectors. This position offers the opportunity to strengthen the health financing component of health systems and to further develop this capacity across FHI 360 programs to achieve our mission of improving lives.
Provides technical support to the health financing component of FHI 360 health, population and nutrition programs. Leads or contributes to the development of health systems proposals. Builds FHI 360 capacities in health financing. Documents results, publishes and presents at conferences. Collaborates with research divisions as needed.
- Provides technical assistance to disease-focused public health programs to strengthen the financing component of the health system and improve program and system performance;
- Designs and helps implement strategies for the financial sustainability of health systems and program results;
- Builds the capacity of local staff, partners and organizations in health financing at country level;
- Designs, assesses and strengthens strategies for health insurance, including community-based health insurance schemes;
- Designs, assesses and strengthens results- performance-based financing schemes and strategies;
- Contributes to the implementation of Universal Health Coverage (UHC);
- Helps explore innovative financing strategies, potentially including: credit guarantees, seed funding, development impact bonds, co-funding to leveraging private sector investments, and market shaping, among others;
- Leads strategies for increased domestic resource mobilization.
- Leads health financing proposals or proposals with substantial health financing components;
- Provides technical inputs to the design of the health financing component of health programs;
- Identifies new clients and opportunities and conducts markets analysis for health financing.
- Leads the development of FHI 360 capacity in health systems financing;
- Publishes thought leadership documents on health financing;
- Leads trainings and assessment of health financing efforts, including the development of training and assessment tools;
- Documents results, publishes and presents to clients and at international conferences.
- Collaborates with other divisions on research activities related to health financing, including protocol design and publications.
- Master degree in health economics/health financing or MsC or PhD preferred with 5-8 years of relevant experience in LMICs.
- Expertise in specialized areas such as:
- health care financing mechanisms supporting universal health coverage (including community-based financing, social contracting, contracting in/out, and equitable access to care);
- health insurance schemes (including social health insurance);
- performance-based financing (including financial and non-financial incentives);
- Track record of providing technical assistance to public health programs in LMICs in health financing;
- Track record of assessing and improving the performance of the health financing component of programs;
- Track record of relevant publications and presentations in international conferences;
- Track record of proposal development experience and contributing to initiatives to seek funding for new business;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates technical skills, scientific creativity, self-initiative, collaboration with others and independent thought;
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English. Additional skills in French or Portuguese preferred;
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) or in work-related academic, governmental, or industry setting.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor