Abt Associates seeks a qualified Health Governance & Finance Lead to support the Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project in Dili, Timor-Leste.
The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) activity in Timor-Leste is part of a global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being. Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards. LHSS’s Timor-Leste activity will support the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL) to effectively and sustainably govern, finance, and deliver quality and affordable essential health services while being responsive and accountable to users and an engaged civil society. The activity’s tentative objectives are to strengthen health sector governance, enhance health sector workforce management, improve healthy behaviors, and improve health advocacy and civic engagement for health system strengthening.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Health Governance & Finance Lead will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Implement LHSS’s health governance and sustainability planning interventions in Timor-Leste, which may include conducting governance, capacity, and political economy analyses; convening and managing stakeholder working groups and steering committees; creating capacity development plans; and facilitating coordination and workshops between and within government ministries
- Implement LHSS’s health financing interventions in Timor-Leste, which may include strengthening the government’s capacity to regularly produce and use health financing data for decision-making, and improving resource optimization and health financing at the national and sub-national levels through improved data, more efficient budgeting processes, and more evidence-based advocacy
- Provide technical guidance for LHSS’s interventions related to civil society organization (CSO) engagement and advocacy, including supervision of a Civil Society/Advocacy Manager who will implement these activities
- Under guidance from the COP, ensure LHSS’s governance, health financing, and CSO engagement activities are conducted in coordination with ongoing donor and government of Timor-Leste activities
- Establish and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders within the Government of Timor-Leste, including the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Finance, and collaborate closely with them throughout the project
- Under the guidance of the COP, ensure LHSS’s governance and sustainability activities are conducted in coordination with ongoing donor and government of Timor-Leste activities
- Provide inputs to and, under guidance from the COP, co-manage the development and monitoring of LHSS’s Sustainability and Transition Plan for Timor-Leste
- Build in-country capacity for health sector governance and sustainability planning, CSO engagement and advocacy, public financial management, and health financing
- Provide key inputs for the workplanning process for the project’s governance and sustainability activities in future project years
- Contribute to reporting, update technical and implementation strategies, identify technical assistance needs within the GoTL, and mobilize required technical resources and staff
- Contribute to LHSS MERL activities, including developing indicators, collecting data, and reporting on indicators, in collaboration with the MERL team
- Implement activities in a way that is harmonized with the project’s objectives to ensure complementary and efficient implementation
- Contribute to and lead (when necessary) the timely production of quality deliverables to USAID, including quarterly reports, annual reports, work plans, budgets, technical reports, and publications
- Coordinate and collaborate with project staff and partners to implement cross-cutting activities
- Coordinate with international and local subcontractors, working with regional and technical staff to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and appropriate.
- Support LHSS’s MERL and Knowledge Management/Communications teams to develop case studies and success stories from LHSS Timor-Leste interventions
- Attend relevant meetings, technical working groups, conferences, etc. as necessary to share knowledge generated through LHSS interventions and to represent the project
Within the LHSS project, the Health Governance & Finance Lead will be supported by LHSS home office-based operations, finance, and technical expertise. This position will report to the Chief of Party
- Experience conducting health system governance assessments, such as political economy analyses or governance assessments
- Experience with health financing system development and strengthening, including public financial management
- Experience working with government stakeholders and health financing mechanisms to increase governance capacity, sustainability, and health system effectiveness and efficiency
- Experience facilitating coordination and information sharing within and between government ministries is preferred
- Experience with international development and donor-funded programs. Familiarity with USAID-funded projects will be an advantage.
- Proven professional knowledge of MS Office applications and appropriate organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Tetum and/or Portuguese writing and speaking skills preferred
- Timorese nationals are encouraged to apply. For non-nationals, experience working in Timor-Leste is preferred.
- Master’s degree or PhD in public health, public policy, business or another relevant field
- 12+ years of relevant professional experience with a Master’s degree, or 8-10 years with a PhD
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.