MSH is recruiting Health Governance Specialists with a variety of backgrounds and expertise, such as establishing and strengthening transparency and accountability mechanisms, developing policy and regulatory frameworks that incentivize good governance, assessing the political economy, developing the capacity of governing bodies, co-creating and institutionalizing tools to govern health system performance, supporting decentralization, strengthening the stewardship of health resources, engaging civil society and media, and ensuring inclusion and meaningful participation of vulnerable groups in health system decision-making. Health Governance Specialists play a key role in designing and implementing such activities to contribute to achieving UHC, including increasing financial protection, expanding equitable population coverage and improving quality of people-centered health services. They work should-to-shoulder with host-country counterparts, including government, USAID Missions, private sector and civil society to develop and implement country-specific health governance solutions and develop local capacity to sustain the work long term. They work both independently as a technical expert and collaboratively as part of extended project teams to realize project objectives under challenging circumstances and tight deadlines. They may work from head office and be deployed on short term technical assistance assignments to multiple countries or be field based and provide long term assistance in primarily one country, according to their respective areas of expertise and interests.
Submit your resume today and begin a conversation about which opportunities are best suited to your expertise. We are currently recruiting technical staff for a number of new projects, including an anticipated 5-year, USAID-funded award that will support health systems strengthening as a means to achieve universal health coverage (UHC). The project will work in low and middle-income countries and focus on reducing financial barriers to healthcare, increasing equitable access to services and improving the quality of patient-centered care.
Qualifications and Experience
- Provide technical leadership, facilitation, participatory analysis, capacity building, technical assistance, mentoring and/or coaching in the design and implementation of health governance activities, tailored to the specific needs and context as requested from partner countries.
- Provide ongoing mentoring and coaching to in-country teams and local partners as they implement health governance related approaches and/or their governance capacity improvement plans.
- Lead, coordinate or participate in project responses to specific Mission buy-ins related to health governance.
- Ensure activities are closely monitored and documented throughout implementation and ensure that actions are taken to continually improve performance (including re-orienting and adjusting strategies when needed).
- Ensure the technical excellence, within-budget and on-time delivery of activity results. Periodically evaluate progress towards the completion of project deliverables to verify alignment with strategic directions and defined targets, and make adjustments as necessary.
- Participate in efforts to document project results related to governance and disseminate results as appropriate at national, regional and global levels.
- Participate in technical forums, working groups, and other meetings with host country government, Mission, and other counterparts as needed
- Oversee efforts to document project results related to health systems performance and disseminate results as appropriate at national, regional and global levels.
- Directly supervise other technical staff members as needed by project activities.
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in public health, public policy or a relevant discipline combined with the following minimum years of direct relevant experience working in health systems in low and middle income countries:
- 15 years of direct relevant experience with Bachelor’s degree
- 12 years of relevant experience with Master’s degree
- 10 years of relevant experience with JD/ABD (all but dissertation)
- 8 years of relevant experience with PhD
- Strong experience developing, implementing, managing or evaluating health governance programs and a robust understanding of priority governance issues in low- or middle-income countries.
- Track record of working collaboratively with local partners to define and analyze governance capacity and needs, and develop tailored improvement plans informed by evidence-based practice.
- Experience managing, conducting or translating health systems research into policy or institutional reform.
- Professional experience interacting with government or non-governmental organizations including the private sector in low and middle income settings. Including excellent cross-cultural interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience providing technical assistance to ministries of health in one or more areas of governance described above.
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in French is an advantage.
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 25%.
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.