Implement quality health services and contribute to the achievement of proposal objectives within the planned timescale and budget. Build the capacity of the local health team by providing relevant supervision, training and technical support. Contribute to monitoring and reporting on project progress.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din governorates. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. As the Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region. Take a look at our Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Dohuk, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Responsible for the implementation, management and supervision of the assigned health projects in line with the activity plan of the project proposal and national and international guidelines. Conduct regular field trips to clinics and other health facilities for support and supervision.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted. Ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the relevant field managers. Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Oversee the process of data collection to meet the requirements and deadlines set by Medair and external partners. Input into the development of the country strategy and donor proposals.
- Manage the team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, etc. The health team may include certified health staff (e.g. doctors, medical assistants, and nurses) and other health staff (e.g. pharmacy and laboratory assistants).
- Facilitate regular team meetings with the team, reviewing individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Work with the relevant field managers to plan, construct and manage health budgets.
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned health team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication & Coordination
- Represent Medair at relevant meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, Medair in-country health managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, local government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs).
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of all necessary medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned health activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are distributed correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- Able to develop good relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Excellent organisational skills. Able to oversee multiple tasks and to prioritise clearly.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.