At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
In South Sudan, CARE is currently supporting affected populations with emergency food assistance, providing access for women and children to primary health care, responding and preventing Gender Based Violence and developing peacefully co-existent communities. CARE is providing critical, lifesaving support and building the resilience of IDPs, refugees and vulnerable host communities. Priority sectors are WASH, Health, Nutrition and Food Security and Livelihoods. For more information about our work in South Sudan, please visit our website at http://www.care.org/emergencies/south-sudan-humanitarian-crisis
CARE seeks an exceptional and highly experienced individual to provide technical and strategic support to CARE’s South Sudan’s Health and Nutrition program.
In this role, the Health and Nutrition Coordinator (HNC) will be responsible for the overall direction and performance of the health and nutrition program portfolio. The range of duties include playing a critical role in defining the sector’s program principles, objectives and operational strategies; setting standards for project implementation, monitoring and evaluation; overseeing project planning, and budgeting; giving technical assistance to staff; ensuring collaboration with counterpart agencies and representing the Country Office(CO) to external organizations.
Reporting to the Program Quality and Development Coordinator, the HNC will be responsible for new project development, starting with the identification of program interventions appropriate to both the sector and country strategies, all the way through submission of quality proposals. The HNC will assure collaboration and synergies among projects within the sector as well as between this sector and FSL, GBV and Peace building. In addition he/she will provide regular reporting to the Programme Quality and Development Coordinator as per guidelines including preparation and consolidation of monthly, quarterly and annual project reports; and provide technical support for implementation of grants and project activities to assure timely and quality achievement of goals and objectives of the projects and within budget constraints.
We are looking for an exceptional individual for this role. Your experience in development and humanitarian assistance, coupled with good strategic development experience, understanding of humanitarian programming, a passion for creativity and solution-finding, solid background on program quality, accountability and impact, working in partnership, coordination and teamwork, is highly admired.
• Provide key technical leadership and strategic guidance in the development, implementation, monitoring and learning from health and nutrition projects and programs
• Ensure high level of program quality and achievement of program objectives/results through effective monitoring, implementation, reporting, and learning
• Lead team-based approaches and processes with staff and partners to identify and secure Health and Nutrition funding for viable humanitarian and development programs in line with CO strategy
• Lead and support the implementation of positioning strategies for CARE, including the cultivation of partners, events and publications / materials
• Develop and ensure strong donor relations with current and potential donors
• Represent CARE by regularly participating at the relevant sector fora, conferences, and high-level meetings and both health and nutrition humanitarian clusters
• Supervise, lead, guide, support and manage Program Managers and other direct reports, thereby enabling them to fulfil their roles and responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner
• Participate in timely and quality recruitment, induction, coaching and mentoring of high calibre health and nutrition staff in a challenging work environment
• Monitor the context and carry out adjustments to project plans and management on an on-going basis in light of changing context, resources and opportunities
• Masters’ degree in community medicine, public health, nutrition social sciences
• Bachelors’ degree with five (5) years’ technical experience in either Nutrition or Health
• Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in mid-level management positions with team management or supervision responsibilities;
• At least three (3) years of project management experience
• Nutrition and or Health technical knowledge of SPHERE minimum standards and other UN standards.
• Proven experience in working in and across teams providing technical guidance to ensure successful health/nutrition programme development and implementation
• Fluency in spoken and written English
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.