Job Title: Health Program Manager
Location: Sittwe Base (with travel as needed to Yangon and Shan to attend meetings)
Reports to: Lead of Rakhine (In parallel checks in with Health technical support unit in Yangon)
Duration: 7 months (with possible extension dependent on performance and funding)
Position Summary: Relief International Myanmar is delivering a suite of humanitarian and health systems strengthening programs across our operational areas, the largest being in Rakhine and Shan States to respond to the humanitarian crisis and also to sow the seeds of early recovery. Projects include working in an IDP camp and host community in WASH, health, and protection including GBV; as well as NFI distributions to newly displaced IDPs, early livelihoods recovery and emergency preparedness planning with conflict-affected communities.
The Health Program Manager will provide technical and management oversight for the implementation of all Rakhine health programming across the field offices, acting as the central point for coordination, planning, delivery and monitoring. This role requires excellent liaison and coordination with sectoral Program managers (WASH, Protection, Early Recovery, field staff, regional staff, HQ technical staff, and partners. The Health Program Manager will represent, share information and advocate for Relief International at donor and inter-agency meetings in Rakhine and also at national level, when required.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Overview and Management of Rakhine Health Programs
- Manage quality projects implementation, including allocation of resources and ensuring appropriate controls are maintained at all levels.
- Ensure quality project implementation through coordination and direct monitoring of project activities to ensure all projects are completed on time, within budget, and achieve their objectives.
- Ensure that donor rules and regulations and humanitarian standards including cluster guidelines are known and followed by RI teams.
- Ensure project follows RI Myanmar policy and best practices, especially for community participation, conflict sensitivity and Do NO Harm.
- Ensure lessons learnt and best practices are documented and disseminated across RI Myanmar and where relevant RI Global.
- Provide technical support to projects where relevant.
- Ensure proper budget follow up, projections and budget re-alignments where needed.
- Ensure quality and timely reports to the donors are prepared and submitted in coordination with the Head of Rakhine Programs and Yangon office.
- Line management of Health Coordinator who will be responsible for direct management and oversight of their respective activities and teams.
Personnel Management and Capacity Building
- Oversee the recruitment, management and training of the national health program staff in each field site.
- Lead capacity building initiatives for Rakhine health team through on-the-job training, particularly in areas related to program planning, financial planning and monitoring, procurement planning, record keeping, data analysis and reporting.
External Representation, Coordination, Policy and Advocacy
- Establish and consolidate relationships with partners, including national and international NGOs, UN/cluster partners, donors and relevant government representatives for improved project implementation and to position Relief International as a credible, effective humanitarian organisation in Myanmar.
- In close coordination with RI country management members, effectively liaise with donors and other agency representatives related to emergency response and recovery programming.
- Represent RI at field-level (or Yangon level as needed) humanitarian and development meetings, including donor and inter-agency coordination meetings.
- Lead on health related policy and advocacy issues, in coordination with the Head of Rakhine Programs; maintaining timely and accurate information on humanitarian issues such as access, inclusion etc.
Program Planning and Development
- In close coordination with the Head of Rakhine Programs and the Program Development and Manager, maintain effective communications with donors by tracking trends and anticipating the likelihood of funding opportunities.
- In coordination with Head of Rakhine and Program Development Manager Support, work to secure new funding opportunities for health Programs, including technical input and proposal and budget development.
- Provide technical input to RI emergency and disaster preparedness planning.
- Undertake additional activities as required by RI.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.