Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned health project. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget with a focus on health system strengthening, training and coordination. Other important aspects of the role include supporting and training primary health care staff to meet international quality standards in health care delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders, and anticipating, planning, and contributing to the development of new project proposals and reports.
To reduce the morbidity and mortality of displaced populations and acutely vulnerable host communities in South Sudan through the provision of emergency nutrition and health services in in Aweil Centre County.
Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Aweil, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
May 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Management
- Manage the health project in order to meet the project objectives within budget and time frame and report promptly any operational concerns.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local health authorities (where applicable) and local health staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective health strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Continuously monitor and supervise health activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the health team in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
- Provide input into the integration of accountability to affected populations in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Support the development of new proposals by providing relevant information and data linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy.
Monitoring and Evaluation/Quality Management
- Provide the necessary support to health project implementing staff to adhere to the nationally approved guidelines governing health programme service delivery and reporting.
- Ensure health project is implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Coordinate with the Monitoring & Evaluation team in Juba to support annual SMART and KPC Surveys.
Staff Recruitment, Management and Capacity building
- Recruit the required project staff in line with Medair’s and South Sudan Labour Laws.
- Line-manage the Health Managers, including day-to-day management, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff.
- Provide coaching and technical supportive supervision to staff in order to develop ownership.
- Identify areas of development among health project staff and develop capacity building plans.
- Discuss, agree on and set SMART performance objectives target for health managers.
Finance and Logistics Management
- Manage the project and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards.
- Authorisation of expenditure on applicable budget lines up to 5,000 USD
- Ensure the procurement of buffer medicines, equipment and supplies is completed to avoid stock outs.
- Ensure timely request and delivery of supplies from Gift In Kind donors (UNICEF and UNFPA)
- Timely communicate to health advisor breaks in GIK pipeline in order to follow up at Juba level.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop appropriate communication structures with Medair in-country and HQ staff. with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in health coordination meetings and other technical working groups, representing Medair and feeding back to the health staff and field managers on relevant issues.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification nursing/medical professional experience.
- At least 1 year management experience in a health context and 2 years in health in developing country.
- Experience in training. Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Able to set clear objectives and to delegate.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.