Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned health project(s). This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget with a focus on health system strengthening, training and coordination. Other important aspects of the role include managing and training primary health care staff to meet international quality standards in health care delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders, and anticipating, planning, and contributing to the development of new health project proposals and reports.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter andNFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Sinjar, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
May 2018. Full time, 12 to 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Management
- Meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame and report promptly any operational concerns to line manager and country health advisor.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned health projects, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local health authorities and local health staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective health strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for health activities.
- Evaluate progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the health team in analysis and taking appropriate action to ensure continued progress.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to timeframes and formats.
- Identify future project areas or needs and develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy.
- Line-manage the Health Managers, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other health project staff.
- Facilitate meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision, in order to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Assess the training needs of health staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the health budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, advisors and other stakeholders with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in health coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings, representing Medair and feeding back to the health staff on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of health staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines.
- Liaise with the health, logistics and finance staff to ensure items managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure procurement plans are developed and completed in coordination with the PSM or LM.
- Ensure health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years’ post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- 1 year management experience in health. 1-2 years work experience in health in developing country.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to set clear objectives and to delegate.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.