The Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Advisor will provide technical and programmatic oversight and direction in the areas of health systems strengthening, including county governance and strategic planning and Human Resources for Health (HRH), and other areas as desired for a USAID regional HIV prevention, care and treatment program in Kenya. The HSS Advisor will be responsible for strengthening institutional capacity and accountability for the management of community, facility and county HIV response. The HSS Advisor will ensure a seamless link between service delivery interventions and county capacity for systems development. S/he will be knowledgeable with the issues around devolution and the functions and organization of the county government, particularly the county health management teams and their capacity gaps.
The project will operate over a 5 year period. This position is contingent upon award from USAID. This position will be based in Murang’a.
- Provide technical and programmatic oversight, strategic direction and ensure appropriate support for the implementation of program activities in the areas of health systems strengthening and quality improvement
- Provide leadership in development of HSS &QI framework for partner districts and at facility levels
- Coordinate assessments, site strengthening, follow-up and supervision, including developing supportive supervision guidelines
- Identify clinical training needs and assist in the design and implementation of measures to address those needs
- Oversee the development of training curricula and quality improvement systems
- Engage regional and district stakeholders to define desired health outcomes and confirm clinical performance standards in alignment with national health service delivery standards and QI processes in different health facilities) and settings (static clinics, referrals, outreach), assess existing gaps in meeting standards, and develop a plan of action to achieve the desired health outcomes
- Develop and test approaches for quality and performance improvement according to the local context as needed
- Lead in establishment/maintenance of quality laboratory practice and quality standards for all biomedical interventions
- Apply quality standards to ensure that health services meet national requirements, as well as meet client expectations
- Advocate with national, district and community-level health institutions to raise awareness about their role in improving health outcomes
- Contributes to strengthening the referral system at all levels of health system
- In collaboration with program staff and the M&E Specialist, ensure that necessary quality improvement planning, budgeting and management activities occur to facilitate smooth and efficient program functioning
- Monitor and track improvements and progress toward quality goals
- Reinforce the peer review process, including sharing lessons learned and best practices adopted, to continually bridge performance gaps
- A Master’s degree in Public Health or a related field
- At least 8 years’ experience relevant, senior-level professional experience managing and implementing health systems strengthening programs in the areas of health policy and administration, health sector development, public health with a minimum of (5) years’ experience in sub-Saharan Africa, Kenya experience preferred.
- Five (5) years demonstrated experience in managing and supervising health systems activities and teams.
- Skill in strengthening service delivery programs, training, performance and quality improvement and monitoring and evaluation
- The ability to liaise with senior MOH officials and dignitaries, executives of NGOs, FBOs, CBOs, the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community;
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Kenya healthcare system, particularly the public health system, experience living and working in Kenya preferred
- Strong oral and written communication and presentations skills in English
- Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems; experience with contracts preferred
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in national programs and technical staff in QI
- Ability to travel up to 50% time
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: www.jobs-jhpeigo.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer