Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Health Systems Strengthening Director for the upcoming USAID Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health and Nutrition (RMNCAHN) Continuum of Care Activity (CoC TA) in Zambia. The project’s goal is to improve the capacity of the public health system to sustainably deliver quality reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health and nutrition services (RMNCAH&N) across four provinces of Zambia. This activity is expected to provide high-impact, demand-driven technical assistance, coupled with targeted direct implementation, of reproductive maternal, newborn, child health and nutrition services. This activity will work through a whole district approach across four provinces in Zambia (Muchinga, Luapula, Southern and Eastern) with the potential to increase geographic scope in future years.
The HSS Director will lead the design and execution of the technical implementation of the project in collaboration with the Chief of Party (COP). He/she will design and guide interventions, work with the COP to build key technical partnerships, oversee and conduct technical training, and represent the project in technical forums and to USAID. The position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement annual work plans and provide technical oversight for all HSS activities under the project
- Lead development of the overall HSS strategy and design with the other senior level technical staff
- Oversee implementation of HSS activities, ensuring they are in line with workplan, best practices, and are achieving their intended results
- Monitor implementation of HSS strategies and activities and adjust them as needed
- Prepare HSS sections of technical reports, workplans, and quarterly reports
- Together with the COP, serve as a senior manager to ensure activities are in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and activities meet program targets
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree or higher in Public Health, Policy and Governance, or a medical degree
- At least 10 years of experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating complex health programs with an emphasis on health systems strengthening
- Previous USAID project experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated technical depth in health systems strengthening in Zambia or similar country settings
- Experience working with Zambia Ministry of Health and other relevant ministries strongly preferred
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships with other projects, local organizations, host country governments and international agencies
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills in English required
Submit your CV and cover letter to Zambia_Jobs@abtassoc.com. Be sure to include the job title in the email’s subject line. Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com