Serve as a liaison for Human Resources, Supervisors/Managers, and employees on human resources services and needs. Collaborate with organization leaders, Project Directors/COPs, and designated country representatives on policies and procedures, compliance, compensation & benefits, performance management, and employee relations issues. Consult and maintain the unit operations for both domestic and overseas based staff including management of domestic and international employee relations cases, benchmark and construct project/country based benefits, policies and procedures, medical evacuations, employment/policies and practices, performance management, and worker’s compensation. Perform employee orientations of domestic and project employees and conduct exit interviews, and maintain turnover statistics and information. Supervise Regional HR Partners based overseas.
- Demonstrate technical competence in all practices of human resources, including the areas of recruitment, benefits, policy development, compensations, and employee relations. Provide feedback and advice constructively on work products; and provide input to procedures, processes, reports and other documents.
- Expand knowledge in primary discipline; demonstrate understanding of the interdisciplinary nature of international development and develop solutions for program development, strategy plans, and program decisions.
- Speak and write knowledgeably concerning human resource development, organizational environment, and development assistance.
- Research and investigate problems related to Global HR, including, but not limited to, employee relations, benefits and compensation, and policy development. Assist to investigate and review employee complaints and research MSH policies and/or applicable US/local law(s).
- Oversee the administration of HR tools and resources. Ensure managers and MSH leaders are informed and updated on availability and use. Track and report on employee complaints, harassment issues, and potential legal claims.
- Maintain employee engagement through employee surveys and focus groups.
- Advise supervisors/managers and employees on company policies, procedures, compensation, and benefits.
- Provide guidance to staff on employment life cycle for assignments, domestic and international hires, transfers and trainee programs including immigration and visa processing, global mobility logistics & relocation, and allowances.
- Review employee contracts and templates to ensure they are in compliance with applicable policies and laws. Review templates and HR communications to ensure information is accurate and updated.
- Understand and articulate compliance issues related to human resource for foreign assistance programs and the applicable regulations and US/local law in the areas of global employment, including, but not limited to, benefits, leave, social contributions, terminations, and severance; manage the administration and coordination of available resources for this information.
- Educate staff and ensure adherence of timely filing of benefits claims and reporting requirements associated for DBA and/or Foreign Worker’s Compensation Coverage.
- Assist project teams and others to interpret policies, procedures, and/or applicable government/client regulations.
- Respond to staff requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Communicate effectively, listen carefully, and create solutions in line with the applicable law, regulations, and/or policies and procedures.
- Build rapport with staff via feedback and interactions that create “buy-in” of the initiatives and programs.
- Design and disseminate communication to educate and improve employee workplace.
Qualifications and Experience
- Promote MSH by active participation in external events, networking, articulation of MSH’s past and present portfolio, and effectively represent the company’s history, values, and standards.
- Actively participate and assist proposal teams on various issues, including coordination of benefits cost, or recruitment roles, and/or drafting of personnel sections organization structure.
- Assist in developing or supervising licensing, subcontracting, or teaming arrangements with local firms as delegated.
- Strong HR generalist background.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and work experience in a relevant technical competency area, preferably in the area of human resources.
- Minimum of seven years (for J) or eight years (for K) experience, with three to five years focused on Global Human Resources.
- Strong understanding of foreign assistance programs and donors.
- Minimum of three to five years of project management, staff supervision, and strong understanding of administrative needs related to human resources functions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team or independently.
- Knowledge and fluency with administrative, accounting, and finance systems and practices.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel and work abroad a minimum of eight to sixteen weeks per year, and/or to consider long-term overseas assignments.
- Fluency in foreign language preferred, specifically in Spanish, French, or Portuguese.
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of more than 2,000 people from 73 nations. Their mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with their partners, they are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
MSH takes an integrated approach to building high-impact sustainable programs that address critical challenges in leadership, health systems management, human resources, and medicines. Simply put, they support stronger health systems for greater health impact.
Their expertise in these areas falls into the broad categories of management functions—for example, leadership and governance or pharmaceutical management—and health areas like tuberculosis or maternal, newborn, and child health. They apply their expertise by
- Partnering with governments, local organizations, and communities in developing nations to build their own capacity for long-term health impact;
- Providing global leadership in critical areas of health management and health care delivery;
- Bringing the best of MSH from around the globe to the people we serve, working as One MSH with a focus on lasting health system improvements.
Leadership, Governance, & Management
They work with in-country partners to build stronger health systems to improve:
- the management and leadership of priority health programs, health organizations, and multisectoral partnerships such as The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, developing a critical mass of managers at all levels of the health system who can lead and inspire teams to achieve results;
- the management systems of health organizations in the public and private sector, transferring practical approaches and skills to ensure that management structures contribute to sustainable organizational success;
- the governance and management of health organizations and multisectoral partnerships, facilitating change and transferring knowledge to enable organizations to administer their resources efficiently and scale up their services.
Health Service Delivery
MSH combines extensive public health expertise, proven service delivery approaches, and evidence-based interventions in five critical areas:
- HIV & AIDS
- Maternal, newborn, and child health
- Family planning and reproductive health
- Other communicable diseases, including malaria and pandemic and avian influenza
Human Resources for Health
MSH helps governments develop multisectoral strategies and policies to plan and manage their health workforces. We use a comprehensive approach that addresses all the facets of human resources for health needed to achieve an adequate supply of well-trained and motivated health workers. MSH offers capabilities in leadership, human resource management, education, partnerships, policy, and finance to achieve these goals.
Vital to our success is a participatory approach to project design and implementation, which cultivates broad-based support from all stakeholders. We also build and improve infrastructure and local capacity to effectively purchase, store, deliver, and use quality essential medicines.
Health Care Financing
MSH helps governments and NGOs assess their current financial situation and systems, understand service costs, and develop initiatives to use existing funds more effectively and generate additional revenue—all with the goal of supporting a nation’s health priorities.
MSH has developed proven methods for rapidly strengthening the analysis and use of existing health data—normally at the province, district, and facility levels—without revising existing recording and reporting requirements. With an emphasis on learning through action, district teams undertake assessments of health services, identify gaps in performance, and design solutions to support better decision-making and, therefore, better management of improved services.
MSH has worked closely with the Health Metrics Network of the WHO to develop a comprehensive approach for enhancing the performance of health information systems and data by employing a practical, strategic planning process that can be carried out by national working groups.