To provide operational support to HQ managers on the full range of HR policies and practice, including recruitment, change management, employee relations, performance management, training & development compensation, benefits and communications, retention. To understand payroll process for HQ employees and the Swiss legislation & Medair procedures & tools. To handle effectively & timely the administration of the employee life cycle at HQ. To improve the HQ HR systems, policies and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and HQ staff.
Medair HQ, Lausanne, Switzerland
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
From October 2018 to March 2019. 50% to 100%, Maternity Cover
Key Activity Areas
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- To handle the administration of the employee life cycle at HQ, delivering cost effective administrative expertise & follow up in the following areas: on/off boarding, social insurances, vacation and public holidays, timesheet management and filling of personnel folders, reporting, in compliance with related Swiss legislation & labour law requirements.
- To supervise payroll for HQ, in compliance with Swiss legal requirements and internal programs & procedures, doing this in collaboration with other HR colleagues and our external service provider in charge or processing payroll.
- To coach managers in people management with regard to staff recruitment for Headquarters and Affiliate Offices, staff development, staff performance management, case management of their staff and application of HR best practices. To advise on HQ Handbook and other policies implementation.
- To provide them with operational & strategic HR support, especially in the areas of employee relations, compliance, diversity, equality & equity, performance management, succession planning, career development, internal and external communication, promotion policy, etc.
- To improve the HQ HR systems, policies, process redesign and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation.
- To maintain up to date all HR information systems (data base, reporting, metrics & statistics ….) and all personnel files (electronically or paper folders).
- To build good capacity for change and succession planning, to develop the teambuilding spirit and positive workgroup dynamics in the different departments, in collaboration with the managers.
- To participate in strategy creation for HQ and the field, to ensure HR practices are aligned with Medair’s strategy, to develop the organisation (skills, competencies, future resourcing) and to implement appropriate plans and projects in order to facilitate the culture changes within the organisation.
- To listen to employees, understanding their expectations and to provide answers to their questions as well as representing their needs, in collaboration with their managers. To act as mediator whenever feasible if conflict arise between colleagues or with their line managers.
- To contribute whenever possible to support Medair notoriety to the outside world create and to speak honourably of the organisation and of the staff.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Swiss HR Certificate or Brevet federal.
- Diploma in Human Resources.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 5 years experience in an HR position in Switzerland. Excellent general HR expertise and skills.
- Good administrative and organisational skills. Project management skills.
- Concerned with details and accuracy.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of Swiss social benefits, payroll and Swiss labour law
- Strong analytical, planning and problem solving skills. Strong strategic thinking.
- Good sense of setting priority and organising one’s own day work.
- Ability to provide pastoral care & coaching skills.
- High intercultural sensitivity. High self-awareness & emotional intelligence.
- Team working skills, encourager.
- Patient and supportive. Dynamic, proactive attitude and good sense of initiative.
- High sense of ownership of Medair’s values. Spirit of service.
- Able to lead / advise on spiritual matters.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
Then to apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.