Background Information - Job-specific
The position of Human Resources Analyst is under the Sustainable Development Cluster - SDC, which supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
Based in the New York, the UNOPS SDC supports the United Nations Secretariat, United Nations Nations Development Programme as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services.
Under the overall guidance of the SDC HR Specialist, the HR Analyst ensures effective delivery of HR services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, implements internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, proper design and functioning of the HR management system.
- HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the portfolio.
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on the strategic approach to recruitment in coordination with Project Managers, proper use of contractual modalities, forecast of the staffing needs, performance evaluation and staff career development management.
- Management of actions related to human resource activities, e.g., recruitment (including annual recruitment plans), job descriptions, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization of interview panels, placement, performance appraisal, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UNOPS rules and procedures.
- Coordination and implementation of recruitment processes including input in design of recruitment process while working closely with Project Managers.
- Provision of administrative and logistical support to general recruitment process including the identification of processes which required strengthening, developing proposals and facilitating solutions in close coordination with HR Advisers and Supervisors.
- Responsible for maintaining the Human Resource recruitment table for assigned projects.
- Information and advice to personnel on the conditions of service, duties and responsibilities.
- Management of contracts in and outside oneUNOPS. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through oneUNOPS in close coordination with Service Centres as required.
- Preparation and/or review of human resources submission requests to CPC/ASB/ASP, in accordance with relevant Procurement/HR guidelines.
- Proactive coordination of the flow of work and advice Portfolio Managers as required.
- Support to the implementation of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process.
- Liaison with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
- Set-up and maintenance of files/records while following established procedures for record keeping.
- Participate in planning and supporting the implementing of Learning and Training initiatives of the Cluster.
- Organization of training for the personnel on HR-related topics.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in human resources
- Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- A Master’s degree in related field (HR, Business administration, Sciences or related field).
- A first -level university degree in combination with two additional qualifying years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Desirable progressive responsible experience in the field of Human Resources at the national or international level for candidates who hold a Master’s degree. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree require two years of experience in the field mentioned.
- Experience with UN/UNOPS policies and procedures, especially in the field of human resources highly desirable
Time Zone Requirement:
- Fluency in written and oral English. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
- As this position will support Sustainable Development Cluster based in New York, United States it will be considered an asset that candidates are already residing in a similar time zone than New York (Eastern Time)
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement - IICA
Contract level: IICA 1
Contract duration: Up to 31 December 2019This position is under retainer modality which means that the contractor will be assigned tasks according to the Terms of Reference. Retainer contracts are used when and as needed, this is not a regular full time position. A daily fee will be assigned under a retainer contract.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in more than 80 countries, UNOPS supports partners in the implementation of approximately 1,000 projects, which range from managing the construction of roads in South Sudan to building shelters in Haiti to procuring educational computers in Argentina. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects it supports.
Working with UNOPS
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We’re looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in many disciplines, from project management, to procurement, infrastructure, finance and human resources. The work we do is fulfilling and offers opportunities for professional and personal development.
Watch this video to learn more about working with UNOPS
With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce as a means of better understanding and addressing the needs of our partners, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage the recruitment of qualified female candidates. Moreover, the vast majority of our personnel are nationals, working in their own country and developing local capacity.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options, such as flexi-time, compressed work schedules and telecommuting. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types across the globe.