Requisition ID: req779
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Regular
Location: USA-Oakland, CA
IRC Summary: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading emergency response and development organizations, supporting communities in transition in over 40 countries and 29 cities in the United States. IRC resettles thousands of refugees per year and provides numerous program services to assist refugee and other immigrants. The IRC in Northern California is made up of offices in Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Turlock, and Modesto. Collectively, we support over 2,500 refugees and SIVs to resettle and work their way to self-sufficiency each year.
Scope: The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for overall implementation and coordination of the Human Resources activities in the Northern California region. The HR Specialist serves as NorCal’s local HR professional, providing a spectrum of services from tactical to strategic. As the HR function within the IRC Network is part of a matrix structure with local, regional offices, Sr. Regional and HQ levels; this position will need to engage with multiple parties to ensure compliance with all organization-wide policies and procedures.
* Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Develop efficient and standardized systems in line with IRC practices for recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management and annual professional development across the 5 NorCal offices.
* Develop standardized job description templates for core positions across the region, working in close consultation with HQ HR
* Develop regional handbook of guiding NorCal procedures, ensuring compliance with IRC global HR policies and procedures
* Oversee and track all aspects of recruitment processes including local and HQ approval of vacancy, job description development, job postings, review of resumes, interviewing, reference checks; background checks, job offers, closing position, and informing all applicants of status of position.
* Learn and ensure the most efficient and robust usage of all of IRC’s HR systems such as the Applicant Tracking System, HRIS system and background check system
* Manage the background check procedures for staff and Americorps Associates
* Report new hire and status change information, leaves of absence, and separations to Headquarters; completing all necessary forms to accompany these actions.
* Provide new hire orientation for new employees on Human Resources policies and fringe benefits as needed, and communicate with HQ Benefits representatives and other benefits personnel.
* Manage employee relations, in close collaboration with the HQ HR Partner to reduce risk , minimize disruption to office operations and maintain a healthy, professional workplace
* Oversee performance management including disciplinary action in compliance with IRC global HR policies and procedures
* Oversee professional development planning and tracking
* Provide management and staff with accurate and knowledgeable advice on HR matters, including HR-related IRC policies and procedures and California-specific Labor Laws.
* Manage and maintain compliant office personnel records of employees and Americorps Associates
* Oversee and manage time and effort reporting in Workday and leave and attendance records for all staff; oversee the administration of the time tracking system (NOVAtime) for hourly employees.
* Maintain up-to-date employee directory and organizational charts
* Support Executive Director with annual performance review and merit process
* Along with the Deputy Director and Executive Director; serve as a primary liaison with the Regional HR Partner
* Participate in all program meetings, staff development activities, and fully engages as a member of the team
* Comply with all policies, procedures and protocols of the agency
Key Working Relationships:
* Position Reports to: Deputy Director
* Dotted Line Reporting to: HR Partner, Pacific West region
* Internal Contacts: NorCal Executive Director, Deputy Director of Finance and Operations, NorCal Site Leads, HQ HR functions, Benefits; HRIS, etc.
* Bachelor’s degree, preferably in related field such as Non-Profit Management, Human Resources, Business Administration, etc.
* SPHR-CA or PHR-CA or comparable certification strongly preferred
* 5+ years of related professional experience in the human resources field preferred; preferably in a generalist role within a non-profit or social services, multi-cultural environment
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* Good interpersonal and communication skills, conscientious, high degree of emotional intelligence and integrity
* Self-directed and thorough in working with procedures, data entry/record keeping.
* Highly organized with the ability to work under pressure with deadlines
* Ability to manage remote activities
* Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Internet; HRIS experience)
* Workday experience a plus
* Experience successfully working in a multi-cultural environment
* Strong ethical conduct
* Fluency in written and spoken English;
* Standard office work environment. Occasional evening and weekend as job demands. 10% of time travel to NorCal field sites.
Salary Range: $70k - $75k