Global Communities has recently registered in Germany and now seeks to engage a consultant to guide the establishment of a fully compliant presence, develop relationships within the community of humanitarian assistance and peacebuilding donors and implementing organizations, and develop a representation and new business development strategy for the next year.
The Consultant will report to the Senior Humanitarian Development Manager. The Consultant must be based in Germany.
The Consultant will be the primary humanitarian assistance focal point for Global Communities in Germany, and in Europe, and will be responsible for representing Global Communities to donors, government stakeholders, and partners; identifying funding opportunities; and managing administrative tasks as required.
* Represent GC at relevant coordination meetings and events in the Germany that pertain to GC’s areas of expertise and operations, including particularly the crises in Syria and Yemen and COVID-19 response worldwide.
* Identify and engage directly with potential donors who support humanitarian assistance, early recovery/resilience, and peacebuilding programming.
* Meet with other implementing agencies with Germany-based offices working in GC’s priority geographic and technical areas to identify opportunities for collaboration.
II. Business Development
* Through representation activities, create an analysis of potential business development opportunities for GC and its European subsidiary.
* Develop a detailed business development strategy, specifying key considerations and recommendations per donor/client, target location and/or potential partners.
* Ensure that GC complies with all requirements for maintain registration in Germany.
* Identify any necessary financial management, accounting, and human resources processes and procedures to establish an effective office in Berlin.
* Gather and share information on potential professional service providers (accounting firms, payroll services).
* Updated contact list, noting key contacts met, and priority donors and stakeholders in the region;
* Weekly check-ins with Technical Representative, and weekly bullet-point summary of meetings attended;
* Analysis of business development opportunities; and
* Draft representation and business development strategy.
Performance Period: The consultancy is planned for 30 working days, with the possibility of extension for additional tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Experience in the establishment or management of offices of international organizations in Germany;
* Experience in engaging with Europe- or Germany-based international humanitarian assistance donors and/or implementing organizations to develop or implement programs;
* Ability to work independently and communicate effectively with remote colleagues; and
* Professional fluency in English and German.
* Master’s Degree in International Relations, Conflict Management, Business Administration, Nonprofit Management, or other related humanitarian or international development technical sector.
* At least 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in the humanitarian, development, or transition field with a focus on business development and program management, including significant experience with German funders and the humanitarian assistance landscape, preferably with a non-governmental organization.
* Equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Global Communities is establishing a European subsidiary registered in Germany to expand the reach and impact of its humanitarian assistance, peacebuilding and development work. Specifically, the European subsidiary will develop relationships with donors, clients, and implementing organizations and identify opportunities for partnerships that support Global Communities in effectively fulfilling its mission to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.