The Humanitarian and Stabilisation Operations Team (HSOT), contracted by Palladium International Ltd, provides the Department for International Development (DFID) with humanitarian services and the UK Government’s Stabilisation Unit (SU) with stabilisation support.
HSOT works with DFID to lead the UK Government’s response to humanitarian disasters in co-operation with the United Nations, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, non-governmental organisations and governments of disaster-affected countries.
* Maintain preparedness to support chronic or acute disaster response operations, across all aspects of the Humanitarian Operations Support Team; Deployments, Standby Partnerships, the UK UN Disaster Assessment Coordination Roster, UK International Search and Rescue and Hostile Environment and Awareness Training.
* Lead on the establishment and implementation of strategies, policies and workplans.
* Maintain and lead strategic external relationships, including establishing new relationships and seek appropriate new opportunities for partnerships under these portfolios.
* Establish, maintain and develop effective working relations / communications with the DFID Conflict and Humanitarian Team, other DFID departments, the UN, standby partners and external rosters.
* Undertake the planning, development and maintenance of deployments to DFID and the UN, ensuring the safe, effective and efficient deployment and demobilisation of staff to UK and overseas deployments.
* Maintain strategic oversight of Humanitarian Deployment activity, providing leadership and guidance to the Humanitarian Operations Support Team.
* Oversee the Humanitarian Operations Support Team’s responsibilities for and contribution to safety, security and well-being as well as for ongoing operational and administrative requirements.
* Work with staff and managers within DFID and HSOT to design, refine and implement policy and procedures for the rapid, efficient and safe deployment and demobilisation of humanitarian experts to the field, including development and oversight of the use of associated tools and systems.
* Gain an understanding of the client business and humanitarian policies which enables an approach to the deployment of capability and surge expertise which supports the changing needs of the organisation.
* Maintain networks and stay abreast of sector developments to ensure the HSOT’s surge approach and mechanisms are informed by current thinking, research, innovation and best practice.
* The capture and maintenance of all data required for legal and procedural compliance.
* The collection, analysis and presentation of data and performance feedback for quarterly reports to demonstrate economy, efficiency, effectiveness, as well as responsiveness, quality, impact and learning
* Work with staff in order to plan the aims, objectives and priorities of their role, and set clear expectations for quality, accuracy, timeliness, and ensure accountability.
* Comply with the annual performance management cycle and provide clear advice, guidance, support, mentoring, coaching and access to formal training programmes as appropriate for professional development within the role, in order to motivate and enable staff to achieve consistently high performance.
* Ensure new staff are appropriately welcomed and inducted, and take all reasonable steps to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of their staff.
* Ensure consistency and a systematic approach across the Humanitarian Operations Support Team with regards to procedural consistency, accurate record keeping and legal compliance.
* Act as Humanitarian Operations Support Team Systems lead/focal point to enable the highest levels of efficiency, transparency and accountability in deployments, logistics and surge functions.
* Degree level education or equivalent work experience.
* Substantial senior level Project Management experience including the management of complex human and financial resources.
* Substantial experience of recruitment, deployment, logistics and/or similar operational ability.
* Significant People Management experience and including experience of leading and managing teams.
* Experience of developing new procedures and systems and training stakeholders in their use.
* Experience of working with multiple stakeholders at a senior level to achieve common ends.
* Outstanding organisational skills in terms of planning, managing information, controlling timelines and meeting deadlines.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and proven experience of building excellent working relationships, both internal and external.
* Proven ability to communicate complex procedures and situations to varied stakeholders/clients.
* Proven ability to deal with a varied, demanding, often conflicting and rapidly changing workload.
* A solution-focused, flexible and hands-on approach.
* Experience of working across HMG is desirable in terms of understanding how government departments work together to achieve joint and individual aims.
* Demonstrable understanding of international humanitarian architecture.
* The ability to pursue, adapt, and lead change, and demonstrate flexibility in response to changing business environments.
* The ability to see the bigger picture and affect business drivers through decisions and actions, and the ability to contribute to the long-term profitability and growth of the organisation.
* Developing and using collaborative relationships.
* Ownership of learning and striving to develop own knowledge and capabilities to support the organisation’s success.
* The ability to see how an individual fit into Palladium, impact of individual actions on bottom line and effectively manage resources.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status. Humanitarian Operations Support Manager for the Humanitarian & Stabilisation Operations Team.