Position: Humanitarian Program Manager
Location: Tehran, Iran (with travels to RI operation areas)
Duration: 1 year with possible extension
Reports to: Program Director
RI is looking to expand its programming in humanitarian response, protracted relief and recovery, and development settings and is seeking a Program Manager for its ECHO grant and Technical Sector Lead for Education, based in Tehran who will focus on designing new programs; providing technical support to quality and effective program implementation (including supervising activities, management of sectors, M&E, reporting), fund raising, advocacy and coordination with key actors; and facilitating learning within the organization and building on best practices. The candidate is expected to be fluent in English.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Leadership and Program Management (65%)
- Overall responsibility for the technical quality and standards of ECHO grant and Education programming across operational areas, within budgets and work plans, focusing on producing required deliverables
- Overall responsibility for supervising and supporting timely and effective implementation of ECHO, DEVCO and education projects and activities, including achieving set indicator targets and objectives, and grant management.
- Ensure that RI-Iran projects and activities are coherent with RI’s Education-specific strategy, international INEE standards and related donor contractual obligations.
- Conduct field visits, for monitoring, consultation with key stakeholders including the Ministry of Education and providing support to program coordinators for ensuring timely and effective project implementation, determining gaps and needs, addressing them and taking corrective measures within appropriate timelines.
- Conduct capacity building and/or mentoring activities for project staff and/or NGO partners as required
- Coordinate with other RI sectors in Iran to integrate activities/ indicators, especially through awareness building, and mainstreaming protection and cash aimed at enhanced well-being and access to services amongst beneficiaries
- Liaise with Finance and Procurements/Operations team to ensure grants and programs align with forecast expenditure
- Ensure appropriate links are established amongst humanitarian actions and longer-term sector plans, incorporating the concept of ‘building back better’ and specific risk reduction measures.
- Clearly defines training needs of staff and ensures they are able to access training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
Strategic Decision-making and Program Development (15%)
- Develop the RI-Iran Education strategy and ensure all projects and activities are designed in coherence with other sectors.
- Provide leadership and take an active role in proposal writing and investigate areas of future funding.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the team in program planning.
- Develop position papers based on project data, country context and current trends
- In consultation with other staff, produce an annual work plan for activities that supports strategic priorities and aligns with the overarching humanitarian response.
- Promote adherence of standards / best practices, promoting local adaptation.
- Lead and contribute to the joint analysis of information and data leading to joint identification of gaps in response and agreement on priorities.
- Contribute to identifying critical issues that require multi-sectoral responses, and plan the relevant synergistic interventions with the other working groups/clusters concerned.
Monitoring and Reporting (10%)
- Ensure active contribution to and involvement in monitoring of interventions; ensure the collation, analysis and sharing data related to project activities and context for purposes of designing new interventions, donor advocacy and fund raising
- Support the development of needs assessments, screening, KAP questionnaires and conduct in-depth analysis on the same.
- Supports field teams in ensuring that robust monitoring systems are in place and reviews are undertaken periodically.
- Ensure effective mainstreaming child protection mainstreaming in project design, implementation and evaluation.
- Developing SOPSs and tools for core sectors to mainstream child participation approaches throughout RI’s program
- Be responsible for project reports, including writing and providing data analysis for donor reporting and advocacy.
- Conduct monitoring visits to project locations; develop field visit reports and action plans and following up on any actions.
Contingency Planning and Capacity Building (10%)
- Lead joint contingency planning for potential new events or set-backs, when required.
- Identify urgent training needs in relation to technical standards and protocols for delivery of key services to ensure their adoption and uniform application by all staff.
- Coordinate the dissemination of key technical materials and organize training with a special focus on standards and best practice.
- Build technical capacity of RI teams, partners, NGOs and government counterparts as required.
Areas of Expertise:
RI wishes to identify a Program Coordinator with demonstrated experience and expertise in:
- Programming in emergency, protracted crisis, and development settings with preference given to candidates with experience in Education particularly ECCD, Non Formal Education (such as Accelerated Learning Programs), and Youth programming including (T)VET.
- Program design and development, most notably for the European Union (EU), ECHO, DEVCO, DFID, GFFO and global donors.
- Experience in working with partnerships is beneficial and desirable.
- Design and implementation of programs in fragile states and for refugee and IDP populations
- Technical writing for proposals, M&E design, program reports, and strategic planning
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning in programming
- Working with host-country government, standards, and requirements including line-ministries
- Designing and performing needs / beneficiary assessments and M&E plans for projects
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
- 5 years’ experience in relevant donor-funded projects, especially in the education sector
- 2 years’ experience in relevant field supporting project teams on full project cycle technical needs (design, implementation, M&E, lessons learned)
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently in high-stress environment
- Understanding and demonstrated ability and experience to train others on international standards related to education including INEE Standards etc.
- Speaking and writing fluency in English is required,
- Excellent time management skills, resourcefulness, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work virtually with team members spread out around the world
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent representation, presentation and communication skills.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment; building relationships internally and externally
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 18 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RIFrance and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.