Have you worked in complex cross-border commercial transactions as equity investments, funds, capital markets and others?
Background: We are searching for a professional for the Financial Markets and Products Legal Team.You will be based either in Washington, D.C. or in one of IDB Invest’s hubs (Buenos Aires, Bogotá, Trinidad and Tobago, and Panamá) in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The team: Our department advises Management, the Board of Executive Directors, and the Board of Governors on all legal matters relating to IDB Invest. As part of its functions, we provide a full range of legal support to non-sovereign guaranteed operations throughout the entire transaction cycle, including origination, portfolio management, and workouts, and the development of new products.
- Participate in project teams by providing experienced legal advice in the origination, eligibility, due diligence, structuring, drafting, negotiation, documentation, closing and disbursement of IDB Invest’s (i.) equity and quasi-equity transactions, or (ii.) lending, guarantee, funds, capital markets, structured financings, and supply chain financings, and (iii.) technical cooperation activities ranging in levels of complexity.
- Provide legal advice on moderate to complex portfolio administration matters, including amendments and waivers of financing and investment documentation, equity investments’ supervision and divestments, as well as restructurings, workouts, and litigation relating to impaired assets.
- Coordinate cross-functionally with Investment Officers as well as Credit Risk, Environmental, Social and Governance, Institutional Integrity and Portfolio Management groups, to ensure an effective and efficient deal and post-deal execution.
- Lead or support the drafting and regular updating of model financing and investment documentation.
- Design and implement creative legal solutions to effectively manage IDB Invest’s operations ranging in levels of complexity.
- Work collaboratively with attorneys from other multilateral development institutions to address a broad variety of complex legal issues.
- Keep abreast of trends in legal issues across deals and make recommendations for newly standardized approaches and updated practices accordingly. Promote knowledge sharing and innovative products and services with relevant stakeholders across IDB Invest.
- Provide legal and strategic advice on the development and interpretation of IDB Invest’s policies, procedures and products.
- Coordinate and deliver training on matters relevant to IDB Invest’s operations.
- Oversee the selection and supervision of outside counsel services in a cost-effective manner.
Skills you’ll need:
Education: You hold a Law degree (Juris Doctor, LL.M., or equivalent degree) from an accredited university and admission to practice law in at least one IDBG member country. You have knowledge and substantive legal experience in both Civil and Common law systems.
Experience: You have at least 5+ years of relevant professional legal experience as an attorney since earning law degree. Your experience should include the following:
- High expertise in structuring, drafting, negotiating, closing and monitoring financing, security, and inter-creditor arrangements under New York and local law.
- Professional experience in private sector law firms in the U.S. and/or in Latin America and the Caribbean is essential.
In addition to the above, you should have professional expertise in complex cross-border commercial transactions in one of the following areas:
- Equity investments in early stage and growth capital; PE/VC funds; and mezzanine financing products (subordinated loans, convertible loans, income participating and profit sharing structures, options, warrants and other equity kickers), in projects and companies across a broad range of countries and segments; or
- Funds, capital markets, structured financings, and supply chain across a broad range of countries and segments.
Language Skills: You are proficient in oral and written English and Spanish; knowledge of Portuguese and/or French is desirable.
Type of contract: Fixed term, renewable at the sole discretion of IDB Invest
Length of Contract: 3 years
Starting date: Upon agreement with you.
Location: Washington, D.C. or in one of IDB Invest’s hubs
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
We offer a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.