The IImpact Investment Associate will be an integral part of the HQ Impact Investing team and will lead efforts in the West Africa Region (WARO) in pursuit of innovative financing and impact investing opportunities, including development of blended financing approaches/vehicles to reach impact at scale, and identifying and analyzing investments in enterprises that advance CRS program objectives. In collaboration with the HQ Impact Investing team and country program/regional staff, you will conduct comprehensive due diligence for CRS-sourced, program aligned impact investing opportunities, including financial, legal, operational and impact diligence, and provide investment committee recommendations. You will also provide expertise to cross-discipline and cross-functional teams on how best to work with investment and private sector partners to reach program objectives including programmatic strategies, project design and development of proposals, while ensuring the highest quality standards. You will contribute to and support internal learning processes that will help shape and influence CRS’ business models to better achieve sustainability and expand its ability to reach scale through impact investing, innovative financial solutions, private sector partnerships, strategic alliances and blended financing to serve the poor and vulnerable.
- Conduct initial due diligence (including business plan review, financial model analysis and coordination of social impact evaluation) for CRS-sourced impact investing opportunities. Construct or revise comprehensive financial projection models, as required.
- Evaluate capital and enterprise development support needs for CRS-sourced impact investing opportunities and link enterprises to appropriate resources.
- Develop initial investment analyses, investment scorecards and investment memoranda regarding CRS-sourced impact investing opportunities for review by Impact Investing team members and CRS leadership.
- Support detailed due diligence, investment memorandum development and transaction execution for CRS-sourced impact investing opportunities, in conjunction with the HQ Impact Investing team.
- Support the creation of investor materials (e.g. business plans, financial models, teasers, slide decks) related to CRS-sourced impact investing opportunities for investment partners, as required.
- Coordinate site visits for investment partners and other stakeholders, as required.
- Provide advice on engaging with the private sector and financial expertise to country and regional teams in identifying opportunities/when opportunities are identified to build and leverage innovative financing mechanisms in support of programming objectives.
- Support and guide identification of potential partners, opportunities investors and allies, and support negotiation of CRS’ role within blended financing models.
- Support CRS country and regional teams as they source private sector partners and review social enterprise partners and impact investments.
- Support the implementation of monitoring and reporting mechanisms for CRS impact investments and innovative finance solutions, to inform senior management and executive decision-making.
- Support HQ and Regional teams to strengthen and/or build relationships with investors, BDS providers, financial institutions, private sector, sector organizations and other stakeholders.
- Train and mentor staff, as needed, to improve their knowledge and skills about innovative financing, including blended finance mechanisms and ways to engage with the private sector.
- Support the development and delivery of tools, guidelines, and learning resources to build CRS staff capacity in impact investing and innovative finance, including tools to guide identification and analysis of investment opportunities, as required.
- Advise CRS country and regional teams on how best to integrate investment and private sector partnership approaches into prepositioning, design, and proposal development for donor-funded project opportunities.
Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Statistics or related discipline required. Master’s Degree Preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience in investment banking, impact investing, or institutional investing.
- Exceptionally strong analytical and organizational skills; quantitative modeling expertise REQUIRED, preferably acquired at a recognized firm.
- Demonstrated experience working in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams to effect investments.
- Take initiative and able to work both independently and within a multi-cultural team; strong client orientation.
- Demonstrated experience in driving proactive and innovative strategies to achieve results.
- Exceptional writer with expert command of English and French grammar and AP style.
- Experience in social entrepreneurship, blended financing models, impact investing or other innovative development financing approaches.
· Experience in the Impact Investing sector in emerging markets strongly preferred.
· Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus.
- Exceptional computer skills, including fluency in Excel and PowerPoint.
* Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
* Strong relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Excellent negotiation skills.
* Strong communications and presentation skills.
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
* Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities.
* Team player with a positive attitude who can work independently while also being highly collaborative and open. Capable of building relationships and influencing the opinions of others.
* High level of emotional intelligence
Required/Desired Foreign Language English and French fluency required.
Travel Required: 50% travel within region and to/from HQ as needed
Key Working Relationships:
Internal Impact Investingteam and Finance department, Country Representatives, Heads of Programming and/or Program Managers, Regional Communication Manager, Country program business development officers, the Institutional Donor Engagement & Advancement (IDEA) department and other CRS/HQ staff as relevant.
External Impact Investors, DFIs, Financial Institutions, Impact Investing Sector entities, private sector partners.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- · Trusting Relationships
- · Professional Growth
- · Partnership
- · Accountability
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer