Senior Consultant - Impact Investing
Fixed Term Contract - Maternity Leave Cover, part time (3 days per week)
Start date ASAP
Itad is developing a strong track record of conducting monitoring, evaluation and learning in the area of Impact Investing. Impact investing is an emerging sector, with an intention of bringing together capital markets and development sectors so that finance can be deployed for transformative change in welfare for poor and marginalised, including in developing country contexts.
The emerging portfolio comprises high profile evaluations and advisory services that support foundations, donors and private clients to manage their portfolios of grants and investments to business, such that the portfolio may deliver goods and services, or operate in a way that improves the lives of the poor or marginalised. The theme works across a range of sectoral and cross cutting issues including health, climate change, financial services, and agribusiness.
This role is ideal for candidates who firstly have experience working in the capital markets, particularly impact investing, and also ideally experience in monitoring, evaluation and/or research to measure and manage impact. Within our Impact Investing portfolio, we have three main streams of work:
- Portfolio reviews, evaluations: We conduct rapid reviews and rigorous evaluations of investment portfolios, and investment strategies to understand strengths and weaknesses and advise on improvements towards achieving impact intentionality.
- Evaluation and learning systems: We support the development of evaluation and learning systems that generate evidence informed learning at all levels of an investment fund: beneficiaries, portfolio companies, fund manager, and investors.
- Supporting evidence informed policy making: We research, evaluate and advise on the best ways of strengthening impact measurement and management systems for impact investing, and to inform evidence informed policy making both through improving the supply of evidence and the demand for it among stakeholders in the impact investing sector.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to cover a maternity leave and lead complex and high-value monitoring and evaluation assignments that deliver valuable insights to our clients and contribute to the growth of the Impact Investing theme. The selected candidate should identify and pursue business development activities to promote Itad and contribute to the company’s reputational capital through knowledge management activities. Senior Consultants are expected to engage and lead on companywide initiatives that support the company’s ambitions, fostering collaborative working and driving continuous improvement across the business.
Candidates being considered for this position must have significant experience of conducting monitoring, evaluation and/or research in international development. Candidates should also have experience in private sector development or investment and/or ideally the investment industry, and ideally experience and/or demonstrated willingness and capacity to learn about designing and implementing portfolio-wide impact management and evaluation systems, and/or supporting evidence-informed policy making.
- Undertake monitoring and evaluation assignments as a project manager or in a technical role in a project team
- Lead projects or assist other Project Managers in the management of monitoring and evaluation projects.
Business Development (BD) & Marketing
- Maintain awareness of current and emerging opportunities and trends in the Theme’s sector, and contribute to the Theme’s BD strategy
- Seek out and pursue BD opportunities and assess BD leads to determine their commercial viability
- Work with the Business Development & Marketing team to develop expressions of interest and proposals, including leading on the proposed evaluation design and identifying suitable external associates for project teams and consortia where appropriate
Professional Expertise & Key Competencies
· Technical expertise and experience in a range of Impact Investing impact measurement and management focus areas is essential
- Proven track record of designing and implementing portfolio-wide evaluation and learning systems
- Conducting portfolio or private sector evaluations or impact assessments
- Evidence informed policy making / decision making, supporting research into use
- At least one major aspect of data collection and analysis, e.g. qualitative methods, survey design, survey sampling, quantitative statistical analysis
- Experience and proven success in managing and leading monitoring and evaluation assignments for a range of international clients, or as a staff member within an international development consultancy company, major aid agency or NGO
- Ability to quickly develop professional relationships with other Itad team members, clients and potential clients
- Significant technical expertise in investment decision making or research analysis, ideally in ESG or Impact Investing
- Strong analytical and technical writing skills with a proven ability to produce and summarise complex evidence-based findings in a clear and engaging style
- Significant experience of leading and managing successful project teams
- Strong client orientation and service delivery approach, with the ability to influence and leverage external and internal stakeholders
The role is based in Hove, East Sussex but regular domestic and international travel may be required.
The role is for 3 days per week although there may be the opportunity to increase this.
For non-EU applicants: If you are a non-EU National then please refer to the UK Border Agency website for information regarding your eligibility to work in the UK.
About the Organization
Itad is a consultancy company providing technical expertise to international development programmes, projects and institutions. The work covers a range of sectors, including Private Sector development, Health and Human development, Climate Change, Fragile and Conflict Affected States (FCAS), Social Protection and Livelihoods. Within the broad development sector, Itad is best known for its work in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and undertakes institutional and programme evaluations as well as designing M&E systems for development institutions and government departments.