The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) implemented a five-year Compact in Mongolia from 2008 to 2013. The Vocational Education Project (VEP) was one of the core activities within the Compact, consisting of five key activities:
- Reforms to Technical, Vocational Education, and Training (TVET) Policy and Operational Framework Activity
- Creation of Skills Standards and Competencies System Activity
- Competency-Based Training System Activity
- Career Guidance and Labor Market Information Systems (LMIS) Development Activity
- Improvement of Learning Environments Activity
MCC places high importance on demonstrating results from its investments and conducts an independent evaluation of every Compact project. Social Impact is contracted by MCC to conduct an independent ex-post performance evaluation of the VEP to determine whether the program was implemented according to plan and what were program results on key outcomes.
SI is seeking an In-Country Interpreter who will be responsible for assisting the members of the evaluation team (ET) in communication and task completion, facilitating data collection, and providing interpretation services for the ET as needed during data collection.
This support is anticipated to occur in two phases. The first phase will begin immediately, to provide a few days of limited support during the design phase of the evaluation. Support may include contacting potential respondents and/or translating tools.
Work is anticipated to begin in August 2018. Initial support may include contacting potential respondents and/or translating tools. Fieldwork is anticipated to occur in September/October 2018, dependent on approval of the evaluation design and timeline. During fieldwork, the Interpreter will support preparations for data collection by translating interview protocols. The Interpreter will also travel with the ET to provide translation services during interviews with stakeholders. This work is anticipated to require about 17 days, though it may be fewer or more days depending on the fieldwork schedule.
** Please note: This is a local position. Only residents of Mongolia will be considered.**
- Advise the evaluation team on local context relevant to the evaluation goals, including the feasibility of the proposed fieldwork schedule;
- Support the evaluation team during data collection by providing simultaneous interpretation as needed during focus group discussions or interviews;
- Carry out other tasks as requested.
- Fluency in English and Mongolian;
- Prior experience providing simultaneous translation, with evaluation experience preferred;
- Familiarity with the vocational education system in Mongolia is preferred;
- Willingness to travel up to 2.5 weeks outside of Ulaanbaatar;
- Available to provide limited support in August, and more intensive support immediately prior to and during fieldwork (anticipated September or October 2018);
- Must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision, within the context of a larger team.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.