In-Country Interpreter, Impact Evaluation of USAID Laos Nurture
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
SI has been contracted by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to conduct an impact evaluation to test the effectiveness of USAID Nurture, a multi-sectoral intervention to reduce stunting in children throughout Laos. The impact evaluation will contribute to the evidence base in determining whether the multi-sectoral approach to reduce stunting is successful within the Laos context and what changes may be needed to improve results. The purpose of this project is to provide data and feedback to help increase the effectiveness of Activity implementation, and it is designed to answer two evaluation questions, outlined below:
- What is the effectiveness of the USAID Nurture approach in improving the nutritional status of children under two in target areas?
- To what extent did each of the individual components of the USAID Nurture approach (maternal, IYCF, and WASH) contribute to the effectiveness of the overall approach?
*** Please note: This is a local position. Only citizens of Laos will be considered. ***
SI is seeking an In-Country Lao-English Interpreter to support the USAID Nurture evaluation by assisting the members of the Evaluation Team in communication needs, participating in qualitative data collection, and providing interpretation services for the evaluation team as needed during Key Informant Interviews and Focus Group Discussions. The Interpreter may be asked to perform translation tasks for data collection tools in the week leading up to fieldwork. The Interpreter will travel with and support the evaluation team on a full-time schedule for roughly 2 weeks in April 2019. This work is anticipated to take about 10 days of LOE but is subject to changes in the tentative fieldwork schedule: April 29 – May 13, 2019. The Interpreter will report to the Project Manager and Project Director, who will make specific assignments and monitor fieldwork preparations and progress. Social Impact will oversee the overall management of the evaluation.
- Become familiar with program background and any relevant USAID Nurture-related vocabulary/terminology;
- Support the Evaluation Team during data collection by providing live interpretation or note-taking as needed during Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) or Key Informant Interviews (KIIs);
- Carry out other tasks, including translation, as requested.
- 2-3 years professional interpretation or translation experience preferred;
- Based in Laos, around Vientiane
- Fluency in English and Lao is required;
- Previous professional translation experience;
- Familiarity with USAID evaluations or USAID funded projects preferred.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.