In Country Operations Manager - Nauru Support Services, Nauru
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
The Nauru Support Services (NSS), funded by DFAT and managed by Palladium provides on the ground services for long term DFAT Aid Program deployees and short term consultants and advisers. These services include the management of housing, house security, house maintenance, asset management, vehicle fleet management and vehicle maintenance as well as other ad hoc services for DFAT including procurement, freight and logistics.
The In Country Operations Manager plays a pivotal role in monitoring and managing the quality and effectiveness of services provided. The role is field based, full-time in Nauru from late October 2020 until 30th June 2022. Accommodation is provided as well as a return trip to Australia every 6 months.
- Managing 60 local staff
- Preparation of internal documents, deliverables, program plans, and manuals
- Communicate with deployees and maintain good relationships
- Manage all aspects of local supplier payments, local staff payroll and local staff HR matters
- Provide monthly report detailing all operational, WHS, financial, personnel and risk related updates
Workplace Health and Safety (WHS)
- Conduct regular WHS inspections of all NSS properties
- Maintain the hazardous material register
- Communicate and educate NSS staff on correct WHS procedures
- Maintain fire blankets, extinguishers and smoke alarms in all properties
- Oversee and assist the Security Supervisor with coordinating security rosters
- Oversee provision of security briefings to new deployees
- Provide communication regarding emerging risks or current incidents
- Complete Quarterly Security Review
- Carry out inspections of residential accommodation to identify security risks
- Report all security or other major incidents immediately and provide written incident report
- Review and update the risk register
Facilities and Vehicle Management
- Carry out house and grounds inspections for NSS accommodation
- Manage and coordinate staff resourcing and sub-contractors
- Maintain and implement preventative maintenance schedules for all assets
- Develop and implement a quality control system for repairs and maintenance
- Maintain the asset register, fleet management plan, facilities and asset documentation
Procurement and Logistics
- Manage and oversee freight and logistics activities related to the program on Nauru including freight and logistics documentation
- Maintain appropriate stock levels of materials required for scheduled maintenance
- Strong understanding and experience working in a remote Pacific context
- Experience leading a team with diverse professional, cultural and language backgrounds
- Strong cultural understanding of political and community sensitives associated with doing business in Nauru and ability to diffuse tense situations
- Excellent business acumen, financial and time management skills
- Strong understanding of the Commonwealth Procurement Rules.
- An understanding of logistics and freight practices and documentation in both sea freight and air freight
- Proven capacity to assess the condition of domestic buildings, domestic equipment and services, motor vehicles, security requirements and other related assets
- Driver’s licence
For full TOR contact Ebony Laurie at Ebony.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 2nd October 2020 but will be assessed on a rolling basis.