Job DescriptionRTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA of approximately 5000 employees with 30 years of worldwide experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We have extensive experience implementing a variety of projects worldwide focusing on legal/regulatory reform of the energy sector, improving energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks, and increasing underserved populations• access to energy.
RTI was chosen in November 2018 to implement the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) under Power Africa (USAID). Ethiopia is a priority country for EAEP, as are Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda. This 4-year task order will run through December 2022.
In support of this work, RTI International is appointing a full-time Power Procurement Advisor to deliver technical services to Ethiopian institutions in the power sector including Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP).
The IPP Power Procurement Advisor will be responsible for helping build capacity within EEP to manage public-private partnerships and independent power producers, ensuring the government of Ethiopia is capable of soliciting new projects, performing due diligence and proposed projects, and negotiating from a position of strength with project developers.
• Analyze existing procurement systems to identify specific areas that could be improved, identify areas where training would improve results.
• Build capacity within EEP to analyze technical and financial aspects of potential Independent Power Producers (IPPs). Including:
o Performing due diligence using modern standards o Carrying out negotiations o Ensuring that staff are up-to-date on developments in the sector that affect finances of projects• Performing a de-risking analysis in order to attract global players and any areas of intervention for the project
• Supporting the development of a generation procurement plan
Required minimum qualification and experience.
• Minimum Master•s degree in business, finance, engineering, or other relevant discipline
• Minimum of 10 years• experience in procurement (either advising governments or private sector developers) with a preference for experience in East Africa;
• Strong familiarity with the power sector, IPP best practices,
• Strong knowledge of Ethiopia and Amharic language are strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
• Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization: and ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGO•s, and other agencies;
• Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
• Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting;
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development