SELECTION OF AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT, EXPERT IN MONITORING & EVALUATION, FOR THE EVALUATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE ECOWAS REGIONAL ACTION PLAN FOR THE RESPONSE TO ECOWAS COVID-19 WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE ECOWAS-FAO TCP/SFW/3802
Within the framework of the technical cooperation program TCP/SFW/3802 “Support to the ECOWAS Regional Coordination and strengthening of its monitoring and impact analysis mechanism of COVID-19 on Food and Nutritional Security at the level of its member countries (including the CILSS area)”, The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Commission of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) agreed that DADR would develop a number of services, for the realization of which ARAA is undertaking the recruitment of a Monitoring & Evaluation expert. Evaluation (Senior Consultant), for the assessment of the effects and potential impacts of the activities planned and implemented under the ECOWAS COVID-19 Regional Response Action Plan.
Mission objective and expected results
Under the direct supervision of the ECOWAS Director of DADR and in close collaboration with the Regional Resilience Team for West/Sahel Africa (RTWA), the M&E Expert will be responsible for conducting the following activities implemented under TCP/SFW/3802 :
- Technical assistance to ECOWAS within the framework of the regional follow-up of the response plan to COVID-19.
- Evaluation of the effects/impacts of the activities carried out within the framework of the ECOWAS COVID-19 regional action plan.
- Capitalization and sharing of experience and recommendations in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic and its socio-economic impacts.
- Production of a mid-term and a final evaluation report.
- More specifically, the following tasks will be carried out by the expert in charge of the mid-term and final evaluation of the regional action plan:
- Prepare a work plan for the duration of the consultation (60 days spread over 2 missions: mid-term and at the end of the project).
- Work in close collaboration with: the Task Force, the Junior Expert Consultant in charge of the overall coordination of the project, and the Consultant in charge of the compilation and analysis of relevant good practices in the fight against COVID-19; and on the basis of the work to identify public/political/private measures taken against the pandemic.
- Plan and develop the methodology for conducting a mid-term evaluation of the implementation of the regional response plan against COVID-19. A second evaluation following the same methodology will be conducted at the end of the project. This evaluation will concern in particular the results measured following ECOWAS food assistance in Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger and Nigeria and the establishment of social net systems.
- On the basis of the data collected and the analyses conducted and to be completed, as well as interviews with key stakeholders, measure the level of implementation of the regional action plan (achieved vs planned) and the effects (positive and negative) of the activities carried out (or not) in relation to the targeted objectives.
- Identify success stories and shortcomings in order to formulate concrete recommendations on measures to be pursued/scaled up (and those to be abandoned/not replicated) as part of the response to COVID-19 and the ECOWAS post-COVID-19 strategy.
- Prepare at the end of each mission, an evaluation report to be presented and discussed at the regional task force meetings and shared with member countries.
Qualifications, skills and experience
Applicants must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Hold a master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, development evaluation, agro-economics, international development, statistics or any other related field;
- Have at least 10 years of experience in a development organization, international NGO or regional institution/organization working mainly in the field of agriculture and rural development;
- Have a very good knowledge of the stakes and problems of the agricultural sector in the ECOWAS region;
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of monitoring and evaluation and resilience measurement approaches;
- Have a good mastery of information and communication technology tools;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and under strong pressure, network and have a sense of organization, negotiation and consensus building;
- Have a good ability to communicate orally, in writing and in the editing of scientific and general documents;
- Must be proactive and well organized with a good ability to plan tasks and solve problems.
Fluency in one of the three working languages of ECOWAS (English, French, Portuguese) is required. Good linguistic knowledge (written and oral) of a second working language of the Commission would be an asset.
Location, Duration and start of the mission
The consultant will be based in Abuja, Nigeria, at the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (DADR) for two periods, for (i) data collection, mid-term analysis of the results of the implementation of the regional response plan against COVID-19, and (ii) data collection, end-of-term analysis of the results of the implementation of the regional response plan against COVID-19.
The duration of the mission is sixty (60) man/days, to be provided over a period of eight (8) months with the possibility of extension and on the basis of a “When Actually Employed” contract which involves discontinuous periods of work according to needs and meetings requiring his presence;
The mission will start within two weeks at the latest following the signature of the intellectual service contract.
The application file is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the deadline for availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing professional experience and similar assignments;
- Three professional references (first and last names, current functions, functions at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts);
- Certified copy of the highest diploma;
- Copies of proof of work or services rendered, as listed in the resume.
NB: Any incomplete file will be rejected.
The consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Public Procurement Code. An interview session may be organized with a shortlist of pre-selected consultants.
Only shortlisted applications will be contacted. The ARAA reserves the right not to proceed with this expression of interest.
Deadline for Submission:
Wednesday, 10 March, 2021 - 16:00
How to Apply:
Applications are received no later than 10 MArch 2021 at 4:00 PM GMT, by hand delivery or by e-mail at the following addresses: Agence Régionale pour l’Agriculture et l’Alimentation (ARAA), 83, rue des Pâtures (Super Taco), 01 BP 4817 Lomé, Togo - Tel +228 22 21 40 03 (under sealed cover marked “Consultant, Expert in Monitoring & Evaluation, for the evaluation of the implementation of the regional action plan to respond to ECOWAS COVID-19 within the framework of the ECOWAS-FAO TCP/SFW/3802”.
Subject: “Recruitment of a Consultant, Expert in Monitoring & Evaluation, for the evaluation of the implementation of the ECOWAS regional action plan of response to COVID-19 within the framework of the ECOWAS-FAO TCP/SFW/3802”.
NB: Applications that do not bear the mention “Consultant, Monitoring & Evaluation Expert, for the evaluation of the implementation of the ECOWAS regional action plan to respond to ECOWAS COVID-19 within the framework of the ECOWAS-FAO TCP/SFW/3802” will not be considered.