Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’ s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Individual Giving and Major Gifts Manager, Ubuntu
Watertown, MA, Washington DC
Summary: Leads the design and oversight of the major gifts program, annual giving, planned giving, donor communications and database management. Institutionalizes innovative approaches, especially though digital media, to develop the next generation of charitable giving. Serves as a liaison to the Office of the CEO and President and as staff liaison with the Board of Directors Development Team.
Key Job Outcomes:
1 Strategic Planning and Implementation: Supports the strategic vision and collaborative leadership in order to implement an effective and comprehensive strategic plan for development and annual plans for the major giving program, which includes working with major donors, direct mail, on-line giving, events, and engaging the Board, CEO and leadership.
2 Performance Analysis and Modeling: Applies different models of philanthropy such as Donor Advised Funds and other opportunities to reach different audiences.
3 Leadership and Management: Recruits, hires, develops, trains and supervises staff.
4 Donor Cultivation: Leads in creating, planning and coordinating major gift cultivation events, activities, stewardship and meetings. Identifies, evaluates, cultivates and solicits large philanthropic commitments from 50-75 donors to support Pathfinder. Partners with Marketing and Communications on donor related messages and products. Tracks performance and forecasting of major donor individual giving projections.
5 Budget Management: Develops and manages the annual budget.
6 Donor Trips: Oversees the planning and execution of donor trips.
7 Planned Giving Program: Manages the execution and growth of the planned giving program.
8 Fundraising: Collaborates with other business units to enable integrated fundraising efforts on and off line.
9 Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates on cross-functional project teams.
Minimally Required Job Specific Competencies:
* Pipeline Management: Proven ability to personally cultivate, solicit, and steward major and institutional donors at six figure levels. Proven ability to inspire high net worth individuals and major foundations to financial leadership.
* Donor Relationship Management: Ability to establish solid working relationships with donors, volunteers, program management, technical staff, and diverse employees in various other business areas of the organization.
* Budget Management: Ability to budget key aspects of the development plan and regularly track the financial outputs and outcomes of each fundraising strategy.
* Fundraising Cycle: Proven ability to fundraise, from cultivating, soliciting and closing five and six figure gifts (or more) from individuals. Proven ability to consistently meet annual fundraising goals.
* Fundraising Principles and Practices: Advanced knowledge of the principles of fundraising and the ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle including: initiating contacts with prospects and donors; developing creative and effective solicitation strategies; moving prospects and donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation; effective solicitation and gift closure; and stewardship. Advanced knowledge of different funding mechanisms including DAF and other models.
* Philanthropy and Individual Giving: Ability to keep up-to-date with developments in philanthropy and individual giving, in particular.
* Major Gift Proposals: Proven ability to prepare major gift proposals.
* Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services, including program strategies and indicators.
* Brand Ambassador: Proven ability to represent Pathfinder to internal and external audiences through the use of presentation, interpersonal, writing and communication skills.
* Volunteers and Committees: Proven ability to work with volunteer fundraising committees and individuals.
* PC Applications: Advanced knowledge of CRM systems. Proven ability to conduct data analytics and trend analysis. Advanced knowledge of donor management/ prospect tracking software, such as Raiser’s Edge.
* Management and Supervision: Proven ability with recruiting, hiring and supervising team members.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
* Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
* Project Management Planning and Management: Proven ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives.
* Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
* Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using local language and English language.
* Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels. Ability to speak across a range of technical issues that may be outside the individual’ s area of expertise.
* Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
* Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. In-depth demonstrated customer service skills.
* Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
* Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
* Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
* Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
* Bachelor’ s degree in health communications, public relations, communications, marketing, or related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies
* Prefer: CFRE certification and continuing education
* 10 years’ professional experience in development (funding) operations with increasingly responsible positions of progressively responsible cause-related fundraising experience
* 5 years’ experience with major donors
* Work experience with a multinational organization
* Prefer: Experience raising funds for international programs
* Prefer: Language skills in French, Arabic, Portuguese or African languages
* International and Domestic Travel Required (at least 35%)
* Weekend and evening work required
* Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.
Location(s): USA - District of Columbia - Washington DC