Job DescriptionPact Overview
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, livelihoods and economic opportunities, governance and civil society, natural resource management, fragile states and conflict mitigation, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Pact’s Country Office in Indonesia is looking for individuals to undertake the following consultancy, Indonesia Social Business & Investment Analyst,
to provide research and analysis of the social business sector in Indonesia.
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Period: April 2018 – August 2018 (approximately 50 days)Background
Indonesia is rapidly graduating from developing country status and is now a middle-income country, according to the World Bank. Impact investment opportunities, innovative Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and shared value partnerships are replacing bilateral funding for traditional social and environmental initiatives. Funders are increasingly investing in social enterprises, defined by the Indonesian Angel Investment Network (ANGIN) as enterprises which are financially sustainable, aim to generate market-based revenue and profitability to sustain their business, and have a core mission of solving a pressing social or environmental problem.
Pact Indonesia seeks a consultant with strong knowledge of the inclusive business, innovative finance, and development sectors in Indonesia to gather data and insights on trends in financing for social issues and produce an in-depth analysis and recommendations on target areas for mobilization.
The Social Business & Investment Analyst will conduct primary and secondary research on the current inclusive business sector, including a social needs analysis on the biggest social problems facing Indonesia, detailing their size, scope and which corporate and private funders are addressing them.
The Analyst will produce a market scoping of funding and financing vehicles for social impact, including corporate funding (CSR, social enterprise engagement, and value chain work), and bilateral/institutional funding; will produce a landscaping of traditional and disruptive models for social impact; and will conduct an assets and capabilities assessment for Pact (Indonesia office and Global) to highlight opportunity areas. The Analyst will provide tangible recommendations on how Pact Indonesia can engage in new business models, including key sectors, and partners to address.
Scope of Work
The Social Business Analyst’s primary responsibilities include:
- With special focus on the health sector, conducting a market scoping that captures trends in the supply of development funding (including but not limited to bilateral donors, government, private sector, and foundations), and the range of mechanisms and models meeting the demand, and implementing social programming (including but not limited to international and local development implementers, corporates, local organizations, social enterprises)
- Evaluating Pact’s assets, current activities, and legacy of programming in the archipelago
- Creating practical case examples of sustainable business models and/or partnerships delivering social impact in Indonesia, and a database of relevant social enterprise, shared value, and impact capital resources for Pact Indonesia staff
- Providing recommendations, substantiated by completed analysis, on how Pact Indonesia should engage with new models (including sectors) to deliver value for which partners
- Creating implementation plan on what actions need to be undertaken, what assets needs to be developed, with suggested staging and timeline
- Deliver a workshop to deliver the results of the work to the Pact Indonesia staff, and to present suggested next steps
- Report on market landscape and analysis conducted, including assessment on Pact Indonesia’s assets and capabilities, and specific recommendations on how/where Pact Indonesia should engage
- Resource with at least three detailed plays where Pact Indonesia could engage with sustainable impact model, and associating programing costing analysis
- Database of relevant social enterprise, shared value, and impact capital resources for Pact Indonesia
- Workshop to deliver results of study, share recommendations, and involve Pact Indonesia staff
Qualifications, experience and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, International Development, Anthropology, Marketing; MBA with experience in social entrepreneurship, social enterprise, finance/investing in social enterprises preferred.
- Deep critical and creative thinker with strong analytical skills, and demonstrated experience conducting rigorous qualitative and quantitative research.
- Strong understanding of the intersection between the Indonesian development, business and government sectors.
- Experience or knowledge of civil society/NGO sector in Indonesia.
- Experience gathering stakeholder insights, delivering research, and analysis, and presenting results-oriented solutions for clients.
- Resourceful self-starter and comfortable creating frameworks that address client needs.
- Comfortable working independently with intermittent client touch points.
- Excellent written and oral communication and relationship management skills.
- Passion for international development, and models for delivering social impact.
- Oral and written fluency in English.
- Knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia preferred.
- Daily work hours are flexible and can be negotiated between Pact and successful applicants.
- Approximate period of consultancy from April - August 2018.
- A deliverables schedule (timeline) will be developed between Pact and successful applicants.
Please submit the following by email.
- Cover letter, including daily consultancy rate and terms
- Contacts for three past professional references related to similar job assignments.
Email the application to email@example.com Friday, April 20, 2018; include “Indonesia Social Business Analyst” in the email subject line.
About the Organization
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.