The purpose of the Private Sector Landscape Assessment (PSLA) is to inform the new USAID/Indonesia Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS - FYs 2021-2025) by developing action-oriented recommendations for private sector engagement (PSE) approaches and activities.
USAID/Indonesia PSE initiatives for FYs 2021-2025 will be cross-sectoral and focuses on three main sectors:
• Education: higher education research (including applied research) and workforce development;
• Environment: water and sanitation for health (WASH), advanced energy, marine & terrestrial management, and climate adaptation; and
• Health: maternal and child health, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS management, and health system and financial management strengthening.
In addition, the assessment will explore two cross-cutting themes within the aforementioned sectors: 1) anti-corruption issues affecting private sector engagement, and 2) identification of sources of finance to fuel development initiatives. Through USAID’s efforts to de-risk, scale and crowd-in private sector support to development programming, it is hoped that USAID support will tip the scale towards sustainable market-based solutions that may not have been possible without USAID’s strategic assistance.
**Please note: Only Indonesian citizens are eligible for this position**
MSI is seeking a qualified private sector specialist or economist to participate in the PSLA assessment.
The specialist will participate in all aspects of the assignment, including helping to synthesize findings and develop programming recommendations for USAID’s consideration. The analysis will be based on lessons learned from the Mission’s current program portfolio, an Indonesia-focused literature review, and insights gained from key stakeholders. The desk study component will begin in late May. Fieldwork in Indonesia, which is expected to take five to six weeks, is expected to begin in mid-June 2019.
In collaboration with USAID and MSI staff, the team leader will:
- Provide assistance in producing, writing and presenting a summary desk study review.
- Contribute to the development of an assessment methodology, work plan, and a data collection and analysis plan.
- Fully participate in all fieldwork and stakeholder interviews.
- Contribute to assessment analysis and the writing of the desk review summary and final assessment report.
- Undertake other tasks required for the successful completion of the review
- The private sector specialist/economist shall have extensive experience and knowledge of Indonesia’s business and policy environment and a history of working on private sector development in Indonesia.
- An advanced degree in a relevant field is preferred, such as economics, business administration, economic policy, finance, trade, private sector development or a related field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including a demonstrated record of working on private sector assessments or other economic growth-related assessments covering national and subnational levels.
- Prior experience working on economic development programs for the bilateral or multilateral development partners, or with business promotion associations, is preferred.
- Knowledge of sources of Indonesian private sector financing, including innovating development financing products, such as bonds (including blue or green bonds), impact investment funds, public-private partnerships, and market-based financial transaction instruments.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with one or more of the core technical sector areas is an advantage, but not required – education, environment, or health.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills and communication/interview skills, and a history successfully working as part of a multi-disciplinary study team.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
Applications must be submitted no later than May 8, 2019.
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.