The Senior Infectious Disease Strategy Advisor (Senior Advisor) will work with the Bureau for Global Health’s Office of Infectious Disease, Emerging Threats Division (GH/ID/ETD). In particular, s/he will work in the ETD to support implementation of the GHSA, respond to infectious disease outbreaks, and strengthen the overall global health security portfolio within the office. S/he will also work across elements on strategic questions related to antimicrobial resistance, and biosecurity.
The Senior Advisor will provide advice and guidance to USAID staff in headquarters and in the field on key strategic questions related to infectious diseases and help design effective methods for preventing, detecting and controlling infectious disease outbreaks. The incumbent will be expected to work closely with interagency partners and through short term travel, will work with in-country partners and USAID mission staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Advisor will primarily be responsible for follow-up and guidance on the implementation of several lines of work in addition to providing advice to infectious disease staff on Global Health Security portfoliorelated issues. More specifically, the Senior Advisor’s duties and responsibilities will include:
Global Health Security Agenda Team Lead
- engage interagency leadership and technical staff on GHSA implementation and oversight;
- lead USAID’s technical engagement for GHSA interagency planning in several countries;
- advise country teams and staff in Washington on GHSA implementation and technical issues;
- maintain, establish and build contacts with senior officials from outside the Agency including from other USG agencies (CDC, DOD, etc.), and government officials (Ministry of Health, Agriculture, etc.);
- engage with senior representatives of private sector corporations and entities;
- represent USAID in meetings and discussions with senior officials and be required to achieve common understanding among the various parties and satisfactory solutions that address various objectives and concerns and meet USAID’s needs;
- brief USAID senior leadership on GHSA related policies and priorities; and,
- operate with limited guidance and demonstrate high level judgement and understanding of sensitive policy issues.
Emergency Response to Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- provide advice, guidance and strategic inputs for response efforts to major infectious disease outbreaks that merit USAID support to contain and control the event(s);
- provide input into USAID strategy(ies) for infectious disease response efforts; and,
- engage interagency leadership and technical staff on infectious disease response efforts.
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and biosecurity
- implement USAID AMR programs and policies within the GHSA portfolio;
- provide senior leadership, advice, guidance and strategic inputs into the GH Bureau AMR policy discussions and overall program efforts;
- provide technical assistance and support to the GH Bureau AMR technical lead; and,
- provide input and strategic guidance for USAID to implement the National Biodefense Strategy .
Infectious disease and health cross-cutting advice and guidance
- provide advice, guidance and strategic inputs to the implementation and oversight of USAID’s infectious disease and health programs and partnerships.
The Senior Advisor will take direction from and report directly to the Division Chief of the Emerging Threats Division or his/her designee.
The Senior Advisor is expected to take initiative, act independently, and perform with minimal direction in planning and carrying out assignments, resolving conflicts, coordinating with others and interpreting policy in terms of established objectives as part of a fast-paced office environment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
A Master’s degree from any accredited college or university in public health, international relations, or related field. AND At least 20 years of significant responsible professional experience in international development and health including work in infectious diseases, and management of complex programs, with at least 10 years of experience in an international or resource-challenged setting.
CLOSING DATE AND TIME: September 30, 2020 (11:59 PM ET)