The Infrastructure Sector Economist will be an integral member of the Investment Operations Department I of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). The successful candidate will be expected to take a strong role in understanding and responding to the infrastructure challenges of Asia, including increasing demand for better infrastructure services and sustainability of the sector investment. The Economist’s primary responsibilities are to work with multidisciplinary teams and with our clients (and, in some cases, development partners) on the full cycle of projects investment. This will include but is not limited to conceptualization/identification, development, evaluation, implementation supervision of infrastructure investment projects with the objective of ensuring successful project delivery and good quality outcomes. The Economist will routinely be required to provide technical support to management and other project team leaders in various infrastructure sector development-related subjects.
- Lead and/or contribute to sector analyses of various infrastructure sector investments (e.g., transport, energy, urban and water sectors). These include identifying, conceptualizing and preparing projects including (i) advising clients on feasibility studies, conducting cost-effective analysis leading to investment prioritization, (ii) undertaking technical and economic analysis of project investment and program, (iii) reviewing and assessing the implementation capacity of project counterparts and support institutions/agencies, (iv) defining appropriate benchmarks/indicators and establishing project assessment and monitor frameworks to assess progress and outcomes and (v) designing practical implementation plan focusing on getting results on the ground.
- Develop sector investment strategies with clients to pursue the most effective approach in achieving infrastructure investment efficiency in various economic environments.
- Supervise projects and programs under implementation to ensure appropriate technical quality and consistency with project objectives. Supervision requirements will cover financial, disbursement, procurement, social and environmental guidelines and agreements typical to AIIB-supported projects/programs.
- Assume an active role in policy reform development in AIIB investment, if any, and initiate or participate in high-level dialogue with all partners concerning the implementation of these reforms and any AIIB interventions;
- Participate in professional development and knowledge sharing activities and take a role in contributing specific knowledge both within the assigned countries and within the Bank;
- Coordinate closely with donors active in the assigned projects
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant working experience in international infrastructure finance gained in a commercial multilateral development bank. Sector experience should be in energy/power, transport, water, ICT and/or urban development.
- Extensive experience working with infrastructure operations. Experience in contract management and administration, planning and programming of capital and maintenance work and institutional reforms would be favorably considered.
- Solid understanding of economics and broad knowledge and familiarity with issues in development finance.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in the infrastructure sector would be an advantage.
- Candidates should demonstrate cultural adaptability and the ability to work across sectors.
- Master’s degree from a reputable university in a relevant field.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
About the Organization
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 93 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.