Cardno is seeking a qualified Institutional Systems Strengthening Advisor for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Uganda.
Cardno is currently seeking a qualified Institutional Systems Strengthening Advisor for the upcoming Feed the Future Uganda Institutional and Systems Strengthening Activity (ISSA). The activity will work in close partnership with other activities under the Market Systems Strengthening project, particularly the upcoming Inclusive Agricultural Markets (IAM) activity. However, whereas IAM will work on capacity building and strengthening of largely private sector partners at the firm level, this proposed activity will address higher order systemic issues in public and private institutions.
The Institutional Systems Strengthening Advisor will be responsible for technical leadership and capacity building to ensure that the Activity team has adequate experience to build the capacity of key partners and systems so they fulfill their mandates and roles in the marketplace. S/he will provide regular coaching to project staff and key stakeholders that enhances strategic collaboration between market actors and partners and effectively strengthens key systems (skills, procedures/capacities) to create meaningful and effective partnerships. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that the contractor consistently applies a market systems facilitation approach to achieve the Activity objectives.
The position is based Kampala, Uganda. The proposed position is contingent upon USAID funding and contract award to Cardno.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in in agricultural economics, business, or related studies with specialized study in institutional systems development or other relevant field.
- Required: A minimum of 10 years (8 years for holders of a Master’s degree) of experience in institutional development, systems strengthening, and economic development program design and implementation involving projects/ programs of similar size and complexity using a market systems facilitation approach.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in one of the above fields.
- Preferred: Five years or more of expert-level experience in analyzing institutional systems and designing/ implementing strategies/ interventions that apply globally recognized approaches and tools, including partnering with the private sector, to facilitate inclusive and sustainable systemic improvements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience in the administration of similar size international donor support programs with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and maintaining effective working relationships that foster collaborative learning.
- Knowledge of and experience with Ugandan government entities.
- Experience working in related fields in Africa, preferably in East Africa.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills required.
- Ability to deal with Ambiguity
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to manage through systems
- Ability to build and maintain useful and wide-ranging networks of contacts at institution, country or regional level.
- Ability to quickly understand regional/country context and local sensitivities.
- Ability to build and maintain cooperative and productive relationships with an effective range of external contacts.
- Ability to negotiate effectively combining logic and reason with interpersonal sensitivity.
Travel requirements: some limited domestic travel may be required, approximately 20%.
Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10lbs.
Equal Opportunity statement: Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno’s team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
Visit our website at www.cardno.com/internationaldevelopment - to learn more about Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd.
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.