With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of two Integrated Local Planning and Municipal Water and Sanitation Services Expert positions for the upcoming Decentralisation for Development (D4D) in Zambia III module of the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GiZ) Decentralisation and Local Governance programme in Zambia. The objective of the project is to improve service delivery and political participation at the local level. The objective of module III is to support national and local authorities as they implement the decentralisation process, especially fiscal decentralisation, in a more efficient, transparent, coordinated, citizen-oriented and pro-poor manner.
The Integrated Local Planning and Municipal Water and Sanitation Services Expert will be based in Choma or Solwezi, Zambia, providing specific technical advice on demand on issues related to the Intergovernmental fiscal architecture.
The Integrated Local Planning and Municipal Water and Sanitation Services Experts will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Providing advisory services to selected local authorities on improving the planning co-ordination and prioritization of key service delivery processes, improve local planning outputs by using GIS (geographical information systems), establishing fiscal cadasters to enhance the collection of property rates as a sustainable own revenue source, and improving the service provision and management of water supply and sanitation including hygiene in rural areas.
- Providing advisory services to selected local authorities on improving the service provision and management of water supply and sanitation including hygiene in rural areas, and on improving the relationship between elected officials (Ward Councillors) and Council management staff in order to enhance a smooth joint steering and implementation of local services.
- Technical support to selected local authorities (LA) in the partner provinces in participatory planning for public infrastructure aligned with adaptation to climate change (preparation for investments of financial cooperation).
- Technical and process support to LA in the partner provinces, planning authorities at the provincial and national level, the Smart Zambia Institute and Ministry of Lands on the use and institutionalisation of effective, IT-supported processes for the collection, provision and exchange of digital spatial and socioeconomic data for planning processes and their linkage to national information systems (e.g. national geodata infra-structure, Zambia Land Information System, eGovernment).
- Provide advisory services related to the cooperation with the private sector and commercial utilities as well as with citizens and their participation in local policy making.
- Provide technical support to selected LA regarding the steering of District Water Sanitation and Health Education Committee commit-tees and the development of strategies to increase the share of households in rural areas with access to clean water and sanitation with involvement of the private sector and Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) that take into account the effects of climate change.
- Process advice and training of decision makers and qualified personnel of selected LA in the partner provinces on organisation and implementation of regular exchange events with CSOs/CSO networks regarding the supply situation of the population, potential needs and further steps (incl. financial opportunities) for improvement of local service delivery.
- Process advice and trainings on the introduction of IT-based processes for the optimisation of citizen participation in planning and selected suitable local services.
- Master’s Degree in Local Government Finance, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Planning or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5-years experience providing specific technical advice on integrated local planning ad municipal water and sanitation services, preferably also in local governments in Zambia.
- Minimum of 3-years experience in a management role in the area of municipal planning or municipal water and sanitation services; and
- Regional experience working with local governments in Southern Africa, preferably in Zambia.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Strong interpersonal and sociocultural skills;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills; and
- Prior training in GiZ’s Capacity WORKS management model or commitment to undergo training by a GIZ-accredited multiplier before the commencement of the project.
Project’s specific conditions:
- This position is based in Zambia (28 person-months).
- Must be a Zambian national.
All applications for the position of Integrated Local Planning and Municipal Water and Sanitation Services Expert are to be submitted through our Career Portal on our website: (URL provided by BD).
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.